Finally! 1994 Defender 90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 14th, 2015, 08:19 PM
1994 D90
Finally! 1994 Defender 90

Well -after maybe 20 years, I finally own a Defender 90! Its Arles Blue, 94,400 miles and seems to be in great shape! No rust issues and seems to run strong. A couple of strange gremlins that I have seen that are likely normal.....? close to over-heating - but only there after 1hour driving highway speeds. (New Rad and Electric fan installed.) Brake light comes on dash light, after about 30+ mins of driving - check engine but after I refill with Octane 91 or more, no more CEL....mostly.... any thoughts?

I was just at the biggest Jeep fest in the country - - June 14 2015, and I was a slight outcast (in a LR, not a Jeep), though I'm an old Jeep owner (CJs and YJs) and those folks there, all respect the passion, not the vehicle!

Anyway, fun!

I have some money to put in to it. I want a NICE truck so I will make sure to do it right! I have many things that I think need re-done...

Here is my list of to-do... Any opinions???
  • Install sound deadening material - this truck is LOUD!
  • New mats and otherwise bottom portion where your feet are
  • Fix fan/heater and defroster - no air movement when crawling in any way.
  • Either replace the entire front dashboard or get one of those units that modernize the front center consule - but I'm worried about all that water that just leaked out of the vanity, and the over-head light!! Are you kidding?!
  • Under center console has open wires... understand what these are and close it up
  • New top - Best top or Badger? or ???
  • Figure out wiring and electrical gremlins like why the brake light comes on after 20 minutes of driving, and why the tachometer goes dead when you turn the lights on.
  • Install enhanced lighting for dashboard so you can actually see the gauges at night.
  • Install lights that turn on when you open the door or at least better lighting that you can switch on to see something at night
  • Install really good speakers so you can hear music at highway speeds
  • New seats
  • Rear seats, jump seats - I have nothing otherwise!
  • Figure out why water rushes through the firewall, was it because the front vents were open in a torrential downpour? Or are there holes in the firewall from which water was splashing up?
  • New weather-sealing strips everywhere
  • New rear-view mirror with perhaps some enhanced features like dimming or direction?
  • Larger windshield wipers
  • Consider air-conditioning?

External accoutrements

• Most certainly a new, non-leaking muffler and possibly a dual exhaust?
  • New headlights, big time
  • Front LED fog lights
  • Rear LED backup lights with switch
  • Rear faced third brake light and bracket
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8924.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	122903  

Old June 14th, 2015, 08:45 PM
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3
Congrats and welcome to the forum. Overhearing after new radiator and elec fans installed by the PO? Sounds like he was chasing this very issue as well. Have the head gaskets been checked? Sounds like you have grounding issues as well.

Old June 16th, 2015, 07:06 PM
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90
Welcome to the addiction!!!
Old June 16th, 2015, 08:57 PM
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)
Welcome. Lots going on in your post, so I'd suggest you break it up and post in the relevant sections to get more feedback.

Some things could be easy fixes (like your brake light, could just be that your brake sensor plunger just needs to get disassembled, cleaned, sprayed with lubricant, and reassembled - 10 minutes tops).

Glad you finally got your defender. Enjoy!
Old June 16th, 2015, 09:10 PM
Old June 16th, 2015, 10:24 PM
1994 NAS 90 #313
Welcome to the board from a fellow Pennsylvanian and also recently new 1994 owner. Looks like a nice truck! Good luck.
Old June 17th, 2015, 09:25 AM
Jon Ruti
'94 D-90, #20
Replace the rubber seals in your front wing vents. That stopped my water flow into the the floorboards.
Old June 18th, 2015, 09:49 PM
1994 NAS D90 #1919
You're Somebody Now, Greg!

Hey Buddy!

Great to meet you today. I have an LED solution for your cabin lighting that works extremely well. I can actually see my gauges at night now Total cost was maybe $50. Swivel Ball leak repair happens Saturday in my driveway and you're welcome to join in the fun.

See ya!
Old June 18th, 2015, 10:10 PM
72 + D1 drivetrain
With new radiator and electric fan, yet overheating ? As you slowed down? I'd wonder about the water pump. If it feels good and isn't noisy....leave it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

1994, 90, defender, defender 90