Excited to join the family - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old March 19th, 2018, 03:51 PM
simplyklug
Tyler Klug
none

Excited to join the family

An old friend of mine suggested I research and join a Defender forum if I'm serious about buying one - which I am.

I am almost 30, and finding out that I still have a knack for getting my car into less than ideal situations that often times require tow trucks. Rather than continue the internal battle of "do I go up that road, or through that river, or over those rocks?" with my current SUV, I would prefer to get into something that I KNOW can handle whatever I throw at it.

I've had my eye on a Defender for a while now, but having a hard time locating one that I actually want to purchase. Looking to start with something bare bones that I can work on and slowly update over the next few years.

Not sure how old is too old, or what years/models would be best to start with. Always looking for guidance, so if anyone can help point me in the right direction to start networking with collectors and Land Rover aficionados I would be greatly appreciative

Thank you so much everyone, looking forward to learning more!

Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2018, 06:24 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
'86 90 2.5NA - '88 110 300TDi

Registry
Welcome to the asylum.

Youíre smarter than me, I joined after I bought my first Defender.

How old is too old? First, are you aware that Land Rover officially imported a few thousand Defenders from 1993 to 1997? Because there are so few, genuine NAS (North American Specification) are very expensive.

Our U.S. government has decided to prevent you and me from legally importing non-NAS cars (any brand) until they are 25 years old (these are referred to as grey market.)

So, there is no LEGAL way to own a NAS Defender thatís less than 21 years old or a grey market thatís less than 25 years old in the U.S.

You will find people who say they have, and say you can too, but you risk losing all of your investment.

Read, read, read the threads in this forum. Ask questions. Make the effort to find and drive Defenders. As many as you can.

How old is too old? Condition, condition, condition. And the price for that condition. ANYTHING can be fixed.

Donít be in a hurry to buy. Until you have educated yourself donít buy without having a competent DEFENDER guy inspect for you.

Relax and have fun!

Mike & Carrie
Old March 19th, 2018, 06:37 PM
kmagnuss
Mag
86' 110 pickup

They're so cheap and easy to work on I bought the cheapest one I could find that ran, imported it, and just try to fix something new on it every week or two. Age/mileage/condition wasn't a concern to me... your mileage may vary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tarpon Fishing Charters
"Tarpon... Everything else is just bait"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2018, 06:42 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Find trustworthy owners near you and drive several. Talk about the weaknesses common to every truck. Read every thread on here you can.

Ignorance will bite you in the backside hard with these trucks. Everyone and their mother is trying to make a buck flipping these things or fixing them up to sell. Lies are everywhere. Exaggerations, untruths, and sketchy individuals abound. Even people who are otherwise trustworthy individuals sometimes touch these trucks and become something else. I have seen people who are otherwise friends in real life cheat and attempt to rob each other ruthlessly with these trucks.

Remember: There is no such thing as a "trustworthy community". There are only trustworthy individuals. And among trustworthy individuals, the only thing that's trustworthy is trustworthy actions.
Old March 19th, 2018, 07:06 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuamPilot View Post
ANYTHING can be fixed.
True - just take into how much the replacement part is

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.