Driving My Land Rover! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 29th, 2016, 05:03 PM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

Driving My Land Rover!

Okay, I'm not new to the community (member since I bought the 110 over 1 1/2 yrs ago) and I'm not exactly new to Land Rovers, but I am now a driving member of the Land Rover 110 community!! Thanks to administration, members and local friends I am now driving my 110! It's kind of addictive with just over 200 road miles and not even a hiccup, we're already planning our first camping trip. Oh, and it passed emissions with flying colors. I was a little worried about the emissions test. It really stumped the State guys. They didn't know what to think of it, but were impressed by the end of the test/inspection.

Now that it's a rolling restoration I can proceed to the 1971 IIA. I think that I'll be doing a frame-off restoration back to original condition on the Series.

This is a wonderful forum full of very knowledgeable gearheads. Thanks for all the advice, help and support!

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RhinoRover Greenland.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	154742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rhino Rover Me.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	154743  

Click image for larger version

Name:	RhinoRover Keira.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	154744  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2016, 08:45 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I think that I'll be doing a frame-off restoration back to original condition on the Series.

I hope you have a good bankruptcy attorney on speed dial

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2016, 09:44 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Nice looking truck. What is the rear interior like? That top makes it look like it has a lot of headroom.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2016, 10:05 PM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
I think that I'll be doing a frame-off restoration back to original condition on the Series.

I hope you have a good bankruptcy attorney on speed dial
Hey Bill, I don't think that I'll go to that extent, but you never know. I'm more interested in driving it in the near future so probably just reuse all that's good, rebuild what I can and not stress about finding all those Land Rover nuts and bolts that have been sitting on a shelf for the last 40 years. Find what I can, use what I've got available and hit the trails! Some cool history to the Series is that it has travelled to Alaska and back to Colorado and was originally owned by a retired Commander of NORAD.
Old July 29th, 2016, 10:17 PM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
Nice looking truck. What is the rear interior like? That top makes it look like it has a lot of headroom.
Thanks! The truck is from South Africa and has from what I can tell a Santana (or similar) top on it. It does provide a few more inches of headroom. It used to be a SA police troop carrier, so it currently has long bench seats running front to aft on each side. Story is that it used to carry policeman back and forth from Namibia to South Africa. I'll try to supply some pictures. It will be nice to have extra room for when I go to add a bunch of kit to the rear for camping etc... All in good time
Old July 30th, 2016, 12:34 AM
RPRNY
Richard
88" SIII

Nice 110. Perfect for CO.

How did they emissions test? Two speed idle? I'm in a fight with Colorado Air Quality Dept. I am refusing to let them emissions test on the grounds that a 25 year import rule vehicle cannot be tested against a US or Colorado standard. It was never emissions tested in NY.

Already filed charges with State's Attorney. Soon to round two.
Old July 30th, 2016, 10:26 PM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPRNY View Post
Nice 110. Perfect for CO.

How did they emissions test? Two speed idle? I'm in a fight with Colorado Air Quality Dept. I am refusing to let them emissions test on the grounds that a 25 year import rule vehicle cannot be tested against a US or Colorado standard. It was never emissions tested in NY.

Already filed charges with State's Attorney. Soon to round two.
Hi Richard, I let them test it on the rolling dyno just like my other vehicles. I made sure that it would fit a 110 wheelbase and they assured me that it would. I actually talked with them when I bought the vehicle, researched a bunch of stuff and made an appointment for the State inspectors to assign the values for the contractors next door to do the testing. I left with a piece of paper that I will take to the next testing center two years from now. The paper has all of the specs including testing criteria and tolerances for the next technician to follow. It was very simple, painless and professional. I was worried at first but for no good reason. I just hated to put all of that money and time into the rig just for it to fail emissions, but it performed beautifully. Did better than my Chevy truck! They were accommodating and helpful.
Old July 31st, 2016, 07:59 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Nice job, Andy.

Looks great!

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old July 31st, 2016, 11:47 PM
RPRNY
Richard
88" SIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoRover View Post
Hi Richard, I let them test it on the rolling dyno just like my other vehicles. I made sure that it would fit a 110 wheelbase and they assured me that it would. I actually talked with them when I bought the vehicle, researched a bunch of stuff and made an appointment for the State inspectors to assign the values for the contractors next door to do the testing. I left with a piece of paper that I will take to the next testing center two years from now. The paper has all of the specs including testing criteria and tolerances for the next technician to follow. It was very simple, painless and professional. I was worried at first but for no good reason. I just hated to put all of that money and time into the rig just for it to fail emissions, but it performed beautifully. Did better than my Chevy truck! They were accommodating and helpful.
Glad you have had a positive experience. Mine has not been. There is some additional shenanigans. We shall see how it turns out.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 12:34 PM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

Richard, What's your setup? What kind of engine etc..? I actually have all of the original equipment U.S. emissions stuff installed specifically to meet the standards here. I wonder how different our trucks are.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 01:32 PM
RPRNY
Richard
88" SIII

Andy,

I'm sure that made them much more amendable. I have a 1982 3.5 block and a later 3.9 top end in my Series III. The V8 is also a 25 year rule import so they cannot test but there are some confounding issues...
Old August 2nd, 2016, 02:33 PM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

Richard, I just looked up the most current regulations. I didn't realize that they are now going all the way back to 1975! Good luck, I'm sure you'll work something out. Let me know if I can help and when you get it on the road. Look me up if you are attending the English Motor Conclave on the 17th of September in Arvada?
Old August 2nd, 2016, 03:09 PM
roverguy2
Brian Morton
1991 Defender 110 "Blanca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPRNY View Post
I have a 1982 3.5 block and a later 3.9 top end in my Series III. The V8 is also a 25 year rule import so they cannot test but there are some confounding issues...
It's been a while since I lived in Denver but I don't remember having to test my 1970 Series truck back in the early 2000's. I did have issues with my 1997 Discovery passing but it did finally pass and then the following year I moved to the Springs so no more gas testing. Now I did have fun with my 200 tdi Defender last week. They had to do a manual test and inspection but I got the paperwork and was told look for 4 wheel testing in the future here.

Andy, I had forgot about the English Motor Conclave I'm going to try to attend this year.
Congrats on getting your Defender driving!
Old August 2nd, 2016, 03:31 PM
RhinoRover
Andy
1986 D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverguy2 View Post
It's been a while since I lived in Denver but I don't remember having to test my 1970 Series truck back in the early 2000's. I did have issues with my 1997 Discovery passing but it did finally pass and then the following year I moved to the Springs so no more gas testing. Now I did have fun with my 200 tdi Defender last week. They had to do a manual test and inspection but I got the paperwork and was told look for 4 wheel testing in the future here.

Andy, I had forgot about the English Motor Conclave I'm going to try to attend this year.
Congrats on getting your Defender driving!
Thanks Brian, Hope to see you there!
Old August 2nd, 2016, 04:19 PM
RPRNY
Richard
88" SIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoRover View Post
Thanks Brian, Hope to see you there!

Didn't know about it. Will look it up and try to attend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags
land rover, vin