Disco owner who Wants a Defender - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old April 24th, 2015, 09:14 AM
MykD
Mike Denham
99 D2 (lifted, racked, Safari Gard)

Disco owner who Wants a Defender

I mean, who doesn't right?

So two summers ago I dropped $6K on a low mileage 99 Disco. It already had 32s, the full rack, ladder and an aftermarket bumper that's not made anymore (Safari something). Anyway, I fell in love. These things can go anywhere, do anything. All I did was black out the rims with plastidip and LOVED that thing...until the transmission died...after 6 months.

After already having 7 in it, paying $800 to have it delivered, and putting $750 in brakes, sythetic fluids, etc, I was almost $9K in on a $4000 vehicle, which was fine. I loved it. It cost me $2200 to fix the tranny and I should have had it rebuilt. But I didn't. I let a guy talk me into throwing a used on in. "Never got a bad part from them," he said.

Well guess what? That was just over 6 months ago. Know how long of a warranty I got on that tranny? 6 months and they aren't willing to budge because it went out at 6 months and three weeks. Neither is the schmo who did the work. So I'm looking at having to put ANOTHER $2K into this thing. Ugh.

So, in looking for a donor vehicle, I stumbled upon a Defender in Tampa. I remembered I've always liked them anyway. Everything I like about my Disco, Defenders have, and more, WITH dependability but no luxury. (depends on the vehicle)

So, that being said, I'm seriously considering a Landy. Don't know if I'll but THAT one, maybe I'll put another $2k in my Disco and drive it till I figure it out, but doing the math, as a daily driver, it would nearly pay for itself considering I get 12 mpg.

So yeah. I'm here. No need to tell me how much of a dumbass I am. (Unless you really want to.) I really won't mind. So I'm here to learn, talk about importing (maybe) and could pull the trigger on one of these bad boys next month.

Oh yeah, I'm relocating to just South of Tampa this summer. We're still trying to get a bead on exactly where. That is all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2015, 09:29 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
I guess we're all dumbasses. Welcome to the asylum. If you're mechanically inclined or have some interest, then that alone will bode well for you when you get a defender.
Old April 24th, 2015, 09:57 AM
MykD
Mike Denham

Quote:
Originally Posted by rankar View Post
I guess we're all dumbasses. Welcome to the asylum. If you're mechanically inclined or have some interest, then that alone will bode well for you when you get a defender.
Thanks. And yes, as a matter of fact, I am. Tinkering is one of my favorite pastimes. Just won't have a shop for a while is FL to work on her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2015, 12:38 PM
MykD
Mike Denham

Good news! They are warrantying my tranny afterall. So, I guess my Disco will be running again soon. I still want a defender though. I'm staying, damn it!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags
defender, disco