D90 Won't Shift, at all - Page 5 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old September 10th, 2013, 04:04 PM
ashtrans
Dave Ashcroft

Hi,

I have just seen this thread, the enquiry came in whilst I was away on holiday,

The problem is likely to be something jammed on one of the selector rail pins, selector fork or reverse arm,

If you want to you can pull it out and once it's on the bench we can try to sort it using FaceTime,

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 10th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Linoge
Jonathan
1985 D90

Mr. Ashcroft,

Thanks for the note - unfortunately the truck is currently six hours away from me (we were planning on using it for a move that has since been executed) and I have no return plans until it is back up and running again.

Plus I'm an Android guy .

I'll give the shop that's working on it a call tomorrow to see if they could swing something, if you would be willing to work with that?

In the end, if I get a new tranny, it will come from you all - please thank Julie for fielding my email question.
Old September 12th, 2013, 11:18 PM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

Don't give up on your truck yet!!! This is the most informed and willing-to-help group of guys anywhere. That seems like an incredible offer from Dave (Ashcroft).
This time next year it will just be a good story about your cool, old truck.

Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Linoge
Jonathan
1985 D90

Transmission and clutch rebuild kit have been ordered from Ashcroft, and the former should be built on the 26th.

And the Rover's final disposition won't be decided until it is rolling again.
Old September 30th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Linoge
Jonathan
1985 D90

Transmission has been built and paid for; hopefully it will ship soon.

The mechanic has been working on the Rover's undisclosed broken window regulator and apparent difficulty starting. Hopefully it will be road-worthy once the transmission is in.

I will be taking possession of the old LT77 tranny and will be selling it on here; if anyone in the Knoxville area wants it, let me know before I bring it to Raleigh.
Old September 30th, 2013, 10:57 PM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
Thats good news! You'll be on the road in no time!
Old October 3rd, 2013, 11:00 AM
Linoge
Jonathan
1985 D90

Looks like the transmission will hit the States on the 4th; no ETA for arrival to the shop.

And if by "on the road", you mean "in possession of a Rover that was neither sold nor delivered in its advertised condition" and by "in no time", you mean "somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-5 months after I paid for it", then I am in complete agreement .

Sorry if that sounds bitter - it was not directed at you - but this entire situation has somewhat... soured me.
Old October 4th, 2013, 12:03 AM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
Trust me when I say I feel your pain....it took me 6 months and a complete chassis swap to get mine in a usable and safe condition...i am as we speak on a 1200 mile trip and about 400 miles into it with the only problem so far being a shattered window while driving down a smooth highway. Which is the second window to break on me without any help. It takes a little time and sometimes a lot of money upfront but once its done it is so much fun!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3242703798.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	81513
Old October 4th, 2013, 12:11 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RovingRyan View Post
Trust me when I say I feel your pain....it took me 6 months and a complete chassis swap to get mine in a usable and safe condition...i am as we speak on a 1200 mile trip and about 400 miles into it with the only problem so far being a shattered window while driving down a smooth highway. Which is the second window to break on me without any help. It takes a little time and sometimes a lot of money upfront but once its done it is so much fun!

Attachment 81513
Sounds about right... Similar scenario, chassis swap, engine rebuild, paint and a lot of selling of scrap steel have finally resulted in a truck that I know intimately - and somehow still love it.

Hang in there, and it will get done - nothing about ROW trucks is an inexpensive endeavor. But they are so much fun when its all worked out.
Old October 8th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Linoge
Jonathan
1985 D90

Hope the trip is going well, Ryan!

The transmission is currently hung up at ATL airport; apparently it got shipped door-to-airport rather than the door-to-door Ashcroft said they requested, and while Ashcroft was able to change that en-route, the transmission is still at the airport awaiting customs clearance.

Speaking of, DHL wants me to sign a rather intimidating POA (without an expiration date, oddly) and fork over somewhere north of $150 for the privilege of having them handle the paperwork; does anyone have any other suggestions for customs brokers, or should I just eat it and go?
Old October 17th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Linoge
Jonathan
1985 D90

Despite the government being shut down, the shipping method getting confused en-route, and various other issues, it looks like the new R380 has arrived at the shop today.

Assuming the installation goes well, and assuming they were able to sort out the broken window, rough ignition, and various other issues, I might have a functional Defender by the end of the month.
Old November 14th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Linoge
Jonathan
1985 D90

For those few keeping score at home, the short-bellhousing R380 transmission was successfully installed last Tuesday, and I picked up the Rover Wednesday afternoon. I never had the opportunity to drive the LT77 transmission, but I can say the new one performed flawlessly...

Until the 2.25L petrol engine in the Rover decided to eat a piston and/or ring after I had driven it for about 90 miles. Total. The Rover is currently stranded just west of Ashville while I decide what to do with it.

Thankfully, the transmission situation seems to have been sorted, and I would like to thank Ashcroft Transmissions for working with me, especially when DHL decided to be wonky about the shipping. Coincidentally, I have a used LT77 transmission, unknown condition, for sale if anyone wants it...
Old November 14th, 2013, 05:44 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

When it rains ....

on the plus side, a 2.25 can be easily swapped out for a 200tdi and you already have the right new transmission.
Old November 14th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Damnit man! I have been following the saga and I was hoping to hear good news. Well 200tdi time!
Old November 14th, 2013, 07:46 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Jonathan,
I just sent you a PM.
Old November 14th, 2013, 08:28 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
Ain't that a pita to mate 200tdi to r380? I thought r380 and 300tdi !
Old November 14th, 2013, 09:02 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Linoge has a "stumpy" R380 which has all the parts necessary to "bolt on" a 200tdi.
Old November 14th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Linoge
Jonathan
1985 D90

Thanks for the offer, javelinadave, but I'm seriously considering either a GM 4-cylinder 3L petrol drop-in kit from Robert Davis, or going the OM617 route... or just selling the damned thing and being done with it.

200tdis are also an option, but I am not sure if I want to go diesel, and if I do, I cannot come up with a compelling reason to favor those over the OM.

*shrug*
Old November 14th, 2013, 09:17 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

OM would be excellent.

God speed. In the end, it will be worth it to have it all sorted out.
Old November 14th, 2013, 09:42 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

If it makes you feel any better my 110 only made it about a 1000 miles before the hard to start motor became a dead cylinder....

I just got it back up almost a year later. Loved driving it the other day. You'll get there it's a pain but in the end it's worth it

------ Follow up post added November 14th, 2013 10:44 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Then there's the complete 3.9 V8, R380 and LT230 that is sitting at the barn that I cannot seem to be able to give away.

If I had known you had one to give away I would have driven my happy ass to MD to get it. Still might lol, I don't like my LT95's short gears.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags
d90, 90