(Another) New member in NoVA (Fairfax) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old April 23rd, 2015, 02:13 PM
matt.d
Matt
None (yet)

(Another) New member in NoVA (Fairfax)

Hi all, I'm Matt, a new member in northern Virginia. I'm not an owner yet so I'm mulling whether to become one.

I'm looking for a hobby car that I can use (1) to go trail driving and (2) to learn how to work on cars, basically. I've always loved the look of Rovers and have heard that their engines are - well, maybe not "reliable" in the sense that Japanese cars are (maintenance free) but that Rover engines, especially older ones, are "bulletproof" so long as they are regularly maintained.

I'm most interested in either a "station wagon" model Series or a Defender between 1969 and 1989 - but as a newbie I'm most interested in learning about these cars and making the right choice for me.

I have plenty of other questions but I'll post them in separate threads.

Thanks in advance for any responses and for making this forum available!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2015, 07:05 PM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
Depends on how you want to use it - don't let the fancy cool spring guys seduce you. For entry into mechanics - a Series Rover is as simple as it gets.

If you must have air con and a radio - well I guess you should buy a Discovery
Sterling, VA
Old April 23rd, 2015, 08:24 PM
matt.d
Matt
None (yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemanshort View Post
Depends on how you want to use it - don't let the fancy cool spring guys seduce you. For entry into mechanics - a Series Rover is as simple as it gets.

If you must have air con and a radio - well I guess you should buy a Discovery.
Hey David, thanks for your response. Nah, I don't need A/C or a radio, this would strictly be for learning how to wrench and for trail driving when that's available. I want something I can buy now and that runs now, because I'm as new as it gets - I couldn't do a resto now if my life depended on it. But I don't have the money for a NAS or anything super recent and/or fancy-restored - and I don't need something super fancy, I'm just after something I can enjoy and learn on, at (roughly) the same time!

Part of why I'm looking at Rovers at all is because of a reputation for being bulletproof. Not as in maintenance-free - I know that isn't the reputation - but solid and reliable if properly maintained. Something I can take on a trail and not worry that I won't make it to the end, or back home after the drive. Do you have any thoughts on what models or years would be good for what I'm looking for?

Thanks again for your response!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2015, 09:39 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Welcome to the forums Matt.

First, look for our "NOVA Happy Hour" thread and come join us every third thursday at Kilroys in Springfield. You can test driver any number of rover models there and get more feedback from the locals.

But one suggestion I have based on your interests is to get a Disco 1 as a starter. They are dirt cheap and share the same drivetrain as a NAS D90, so you'd learn a lot about them if you ever went that route, and you can of course wheel the snot out of it. Otherwise I highly recommend a series as well

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags
nova