Aloha from Honolulu! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 19th, 2016, 02:37 AM
Cyril90
Jeff
1990 LR90

Aloha from Honolulu!

Aloha! My family and I have just relocated to Hawaii and are bringing our 1990 LR90 with us that we bought in the UK about a year and a half ago (Euro Spec'ed RHD). We're hoping to touch base with the local LR community for support and maintenance concerns and figured you guys would be the natural place to start. Is there anyone else here in Hawaii? Tons of Jeep Wranglers driving around, we're excited to shake things up a little bit. Look forward to 'meeting' some new friends out here!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cyril90.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	154079  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2016, 02:52 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1986 Tithonus LHD

Jeff,

I'm here for another 3 weeks, then back to the East Coast. I'm here sans Rover or family though. I should be moving out here permanently next summer. I will be picking your brain when we get closer to moving.

Great looking 90 and welcome to the forum!

-Neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2016, 04:14 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'93 NAS110 #436
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Hit me up. I live in Pearl City with a NAS110 and a D2. There's one other NAS110 on island, plus a NAS90 and a few ROW110s I've seen.

There's a guy in Hawaiikai with a ROW110 that's trying to get a few of us together as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2016, 03:43 PM
Cyril90
Jeff
1990 LR90

Hi Neil! Many thanks for the reply, look forward to hearing from you! Safe Travels

------ Follow up post added July 20th, 2016 10:44 AM ------

Wolf, great to hear from you! I'll PM you here momentarily, but wanted to say thanks for the info!
Old August 23rd, 2016, 11:30 PM
DashingD90
Seiryn
1994 D90 NAS

Registry
Hey Jeff!
I think I'm a bit late but welcome to the island!
I'm out here in Hawaii Kai with a 97NAS hardtop and 94NAS softop.
Would love to chat with you sometime!
-Seiryn
Old August 24th, 2016, 11:51 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'93 NAS110 #436
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashingD90 View Post
Hey Jeff! I think I'm a bit late but welcome to the island! I'm out here in Hawaii Kai with a 97NAS hardtop and 94NAS softop. Would love to chat with you sometime! -Seiryn
We need to have a Hawaii Rover Ohana Happy Hour.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old August 24th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Cyril90
Jeff
1990 LR90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashingD90 View Post
Hey Jeff!

I think I'm a bit late but welcome to the island!

I'm out here in Hawaii Kai with a 97NAS hardtop and 94NAS softop.

Would love to chat with you sometime!

-Seiryn

Aloha Seiryn! Thanks for reaching out - and look forward to getting together sometime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 24th, 2016, 08:56 PM
DashingD90
Seiryn
1994 D90 NAS

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
We need to have a Hawaii Rover Ohana Happy Hour.
Hey Wolf!
I think I may have seen your 110 drive by my work once. There was a woman driving it coming from Target and there were a few car seats in the back. Don't see many 110's ever and was wondering if it may have been yours. Lets all do a meet up soon!
Old August 31st, 2016, 08:27 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1986 Tithonus LHD

Anyone have any advice on how to get your Rover to pass inspection when moving here?
Old August 31st, 2016, 09:04 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'93 NAS110 #436
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj View Post
Anyone have any advice on how to get your Rover to pass inspection when moving here?
No emissions here, only safety inspection. It's pretty basic.

They'll check the usual horn, headlights, wipers.

Of note, they'll ensure your parking brake works as well as back up light/s. They'll also check the VIN.

What always gets everyone is that your tires can not stick out past the fender flares, so guys get creative with outdoor plastic edging, or just swap tires for the inspect.

It's very ghetto here and it all depends on the inspection station. The ones on base tend to be more strict.

Semper Fi!
Old September 1st, 2016, 01:52 AM
Cyril90
Jeff
1990 LR90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
No emissions here, only safety inspection. It's pretty basic.

They'll check the usual horn, headlights, wipers.

Of note, they'll ensure your parking brake works as well as back up light/s. They'll also check the VIN.

What always gets everyone is that your tires can not stick out past the fender flares, so guys get creative with outdoor plastic edging, or just swap tires for the inspect.

It's very ghetto here and it all depends on the inspection station. The ones on base tend to be more strict.

Agree with Wolf - we had to 'shop around' a little to get the safety inspection done. I will add that from a REGISTRATION/TITLING perspective trying to 'Direct Import' a Rover to Hawaii has proven pretty much impossible. They don't follow the Federal exemptions for age and road specifications and insist on having a FMVSS sticker on the door. I have been running into problem after problem after problem. I was very careful to buy mine that met all the legal requirements to bring it back.... but I can't get past the DMV here insisting on a Registered Importer signoff. So my current solution is to pursue an out-of-state registration in my home of record state and where the rules are in-line with the Federal allowances for direct imports. That should get the VIN in the US system and in a year when I have to renew I should (should) be able to go through Hawaii. I hope. If not, I'll just renew in my home state.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.