67 IIa Questions from a Newbie - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old June 28th, 2015, 08:12 PM
uncbsba
Jason Hilton
None

67 IIa Questions from a Newbie

I need some advice from the crew here. I am relatively new to Rovers and have been working on buying a 67 SIIa out of VA and have run into some interesting hurdles. First, based on the photos and advice from Roversnorth, it looks like the body and mechanicals may be from a 69 bugeye with the headlamp holes covered and a 67 grill. The title shows a 67 and serial number show a 66. I can only assume that this may have been two rovers that were combined to make one good truck. Now, she has a new galvanized frame which is great. Problem is, it has a clear VA title, but there isn't a serial number anywhere on the vehicle.

Is this normal on these old rovers? Has anyone else run into this with their Series? I just want to make sure I'm not buying a Series (in relatively good shape I might add) that I won't be able to sell on or will end up being a DMV nightmare.

Thanks in advance for helping this novice out.

Best,

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2015, 09:01 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Since early 2A fenders are very very very very very difficult to come by, some people just bolt on later ones if they bash the originals.
Another thing that was popular years ago was to put the later wings with headlights on in addition to the headlights in the grille so you had 4 lights.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 28th, 2015, 09:08 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Jason, welcome to the forum.

These sort of things vary by state, so just make sure you have everything needed to title it properly there. The VIN plate should match the title, and usually not much else matters much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2015, 07:51 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Have you looked closely in the cab for the SN? It's on an aluminum plate attached with rivets or screws.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old June 29th, 2015, 09:57 PM
uncbsba
Jason Hilton
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
Have you looked closely in the cab for the SN? It's on an aluminum plate attached with rivets or screws.

There in lies the issue. The truck received a new galvanized frame a few years back (so no serial on the spring plate) and the body Serial Plate was removed for paintwork and not returned (current owner ordered one after I asked for pics). I sent the photos to Mark at Roversnorth and he was confident this is in fact a 69 based on the dash, ignition, seats, brakes, wings, heater, wiring, etc. I really don't suspect anything shady here, just that maybe two trucks were combined under one good title. Registration shouldn't be too much of an issue once the serial plate gets installed with its clean title. My concern is that this mishmash of title and truck may make her difficult to sell on down the road. Not looking for an investment, but also not looking to lose my shirt. I had everything worked out at $12k before the SN issue popped up. Is that a fair price for the mixed history? Below is a link to photos of the Rover.

1967 Series IIa by Joeboblglt | Photobucket
Old June 29th, 2015, 10:36 PM
chuckc4
chuck b

I wouldn't worry about the mixed body parts, the truck is almost 50 years old....

You are not going to have a cereal number on the frame -- it is not an original item. You can get a new aluminum interior plate and put the correct number on it.

I think it is a decent truck for the money, as long as it is mechanically sound. There are safer ways to invest money--buy it because you want it and because you will enjoy driving it, working on it, talking to all of us about it.....

If you decide not to buy it, please pass the seller info on to me -- I am looking fro a series IIa.
Old June 29th, 2015, 10:42 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

The 67's didn't have power brakes and that truck has a later model heater but those are both upgrades that could have been added later. I own both a 67 and a 66 and I've owned at least four 71's so I'm pretty knowledgeable on late IIA's. That truck has a lot of 68-71 parts on it but the new frame and parabolics are definite factors in its favor. The 66's had generators and windshield wiper motors mounted on the windscreen - 67 was the first year for the wiper motor in the dash and an optional alternator (12V negative ground system) but the alternator wasn't commonly used until the 68 and up cars. 68 was also the first year for the power brakes with the dual master cylinder and seatbelts.
Old June 30th, 2015, 07:38 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

I think $12,000 is too much even with the galvanized chassis.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old June 30th, 2015, 07:57 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Wonder if the title docs match the numbers on the vehicle.
Plenty of VA based Rover experts. This truck may be known to them as well.
We're a small family after all.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 30th, 2015, 08:19 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
The sketchy nature of the title would be enough for me to walk away from this. Without the original VIN plate and matching title it is a parts truck.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old July 1st, 2015, 08:43 PM
uncbsba
Jason Hilton
None

Thanks for the advice, exactly the stuff I was looking for. Just struggling with passing on a truck that is relatively straight, with most of the mechanical upgrades I would look for. I think the non matching title is the biggest thing that has me spooked, but I think I may unfortunately have to let this one go.

Best,
Jason
Old July 1st, 2015, 09:08 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

It's 50 years old, personally I would not sweat the miss matched title and parts. If it has a title
, which it does, I would be satisfied.

Nobody is going to come take your series truck because it has a hodge podge of parts with odd serial numbers.

My opinion and mine only, you make your own decision.

P.s. I see you are close to Charlotte, if the truck is anywhere close to Columbia, SC I would be willing to come have a look for you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.