1986 D90 ex-MOD - hey guys - tilt causes paint to dissolve?? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Old August 21st, 2015, 02:22 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

If it's tacky it's having a tough time in your temps. Sand down prep and respray

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 23rd, 2015, 01:16 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I galvanized some roll bars and hoops that turned out really nice and wasn't too expensive.

If it were my "new" Land Rover, I would ask for a couple of hundred back to cover your time.
Years ago I bought a really nice Series III Carawagon from Blanchard and they were fantastic to deal with.
Couldn't tell from your post if the paint was dry as I thought you were complaining about some scuff marks on a roll bar and streaks of black on the inside of the top.
That tacky roll bar sounds like someone used waxoil or at least had some in the paint mix.
That shit is sticky and took about 10 years to harden on a 109 we owned.
A bunch of tacky golp inside your vehicle is a pain in the ass, it ruins your clothes and then next thing you know the goo is on doorknobs, the TV remote, your car keys, and so on.
Big pain in the ass.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old August 23rd, 2015, 04:14 PM
nickybee
Nick Bicanic
1986/D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
I galvanized some roll bars and hoops that turned out really nice and wasn't too expensive.

If it were my "new" Land Rover, I would ask for a couple of hundred back to cover your time.
Years ago I bought a really nice Series III Carawagon from Blanchard and they were fantastic to deal with.
Couldn't tell from your post if the paint was dry as I thought you were complaining about some scuff marks on a roll bar and streaks of black on the inside of the top.
That tacky roll bar sounds like someone used waxoil or at least had some in the paint mix.
That shit is sticky and took about 10 years to harden on a 109 we owned.
A bunch of tacky golp inside your vehicle is a pain in the ass, it ruins your clothes and then next thing you know the goo is on doorknobs, the TV remote, your car keys, and so on.
Big pain in the ass.
That's the weird thing. It's not ALL the paint that's tacky. just the bits where the PVC tilt was "attached" - in other words every velcro loop

every time someone puts their hands on the rollbar I hear "Why is it sticky?"

Blanchard says it's impossible the paint hadn't cured since the roll bars were painted over a year ago. Only explanation is off-gassing or a weird interaction between the pvc and the old paint.

in any case - it's easy enough to fix. I just rubbed it down with solvent which removed all the tackiness - now will prep and repaint

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Community Announcements & Support > Say Hello! New Member Intros.

Tags
90, d90, mod, paint