Gambrinus :: 1065 Land Rover Dormobile - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Defender & Series Truck Registry

Gambrinus
gambrinus

Registry
Vehicle Name Gambrinus
Year 1965
Make Land Rover
Model Dormobile
Color Red
1965 Land Rover Dormobile
1965 Land Rover Dormobile
History Originally a Canadian truck. Was found by Patrick Kelly of CO slowly sinking into a farmers field. Patrick held onto it for a bit then sold it on to Nick Baggarly. I got it from Nick in 1998.
Comments: 3 / Views: 3358
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2013, 08:44 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Hmm. I spent a lot of time in '98 and early '99 at Nick's house helping Nick get his two Dormobiles ready for his first around the world trip (1999) and I do not remember seeing a Dormie that was red and had a galvanized radiator bulkhead, bulkhead and 'B' pillar. If he had one that nice he probably would have taken that one along with Alaska (1962 Dormie) on the trip instead of Hercules.

I remember that Nick purchased a Canadian Dormobile then later resold it in the United States.

The interior included reupholstered Dormatic seats and the top bunks but the rear furniture was missing. The drive train was a 90 hp Toyota Land Cruiser diesel, Milner adaptor to Series III gearbox, transfer case with Ashcroft high ratio gear kit going to a Salisbury rear diff.

Is this the same Dormobile????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 21st, 2013, 10:56 AM
gambrinus
Russ Wilson
1965 Dormobile

Registry
No, this truck started out in Canada, was brought to CO by Patrick Kelly who was living in Colorado Springs at the time. Nick bought it from Patrick and got it moving ( sort of ) under its own power. I got it from Nick after he only had it for less than a year?

RW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:29 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambrinus View Post
No, this truck started out in Canada, was brought to CO by Patrick Kelly who was living in Colorado Springs at the time. Nick bought it from Patrick and got it moving ( sort of ) under its own power. I got it from Nick after he only had it for less than a year?
There was a period between his purchase of his first Dormobile, Alaska and the '99 Around the world trip when I thought Nick was trying to rescue every Dormobile in North America. I had only remembered one from Canada. Since he bought it from within the US I didn't associate it with Canada. At one point his house was full of rescued Dormobiles so the next one of them got delivered to my house because there wasn't space to add one more at his.

The events of his second around the world trip changed a lot of things.

Take care Russ,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Defender & Series Truck Registry