1969 Land Rover Series/Defender 90 Hybrid - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Defender & Series Truck Registry

1969 Land Rover Series/Defender 90 Hybrid
Macker

Registry
Vehicle Name
Year 1969
Make Land Rover
Model Series/Defender 90 Hybrid
Color Santorini Black
1969 Land Rover Series/Defender 90 Hybrid
1969 Land Rover Series/Defender 90 Hybrid 1969 Land Rover Series/Defender 90 Hybrid
History I purchased a series project in 2009. It was RHD, had a 200tdi/series 4 speed, and power steering but also had terminal rust in the frame and bulkhead, as well as lots of corrosion. It was already a hybrid between a 2a, 3 and defender. I rebuilt the truck onto a replacement (series 2) frame with tub, did some major repairs on the bulkhead, and swapped in some land cruiser late FJ40 disc brake axles with parabolic springs. The truck had no overdrive and topped out at 60. Even though the parabolics helped the ride, I still wanted a smoother ride as I planned to daily drive it. I wanted to swap in a 5 speed and coil springs (at least in the front). I had the frame up on jack stands and was about to cut off the leaf spring hangers, and then I came across a good deal on a new galvanized D90 frame and couldn't pass it up.

I rebuilt the truck on the new frame with a NAS D90 tub, ROW hardtop, and D90 front clip. With power steering and and an intercooler, space was limited with the series front bodywork and the defender front end freed up some space. The truck stayed like this for about a year and a half until I was ready to do some body work and paint.

Instead of doing needed bodywork/paint, I found a decent deal on a new take off '13 puma D90 bodyshell and had it shipped from the UK. I only used the tub/doors/wings/bonnet, and had the rest of my existing bodywork painted to match. I didn't plan on the build going the way that it did. Originally I wanted a series with some defender upgrades, but my mind changed throughout the rebuild process. If I had predicted that in the end that I wanted a D90, then I would have just bought one. However, I did end up with literally my dream truck, so I have no regrets.
Exterior
1969 Land Rover Series/Defender 90 Hybrid Exterior 1969 Land Rover Series/Defender 90 Hybrid Exterior 1969 Land Rover Series/Defender 90 Hybrid Exterior
-Series tailgate/liftgate
-Puma tub, doors, wings, and bonnet
-NAS D90 grille panel
-Early 110 bulkhead
-ROW hardtop without alpine windows

Interior
1969 Land Rover Series/Defender 90 Hybrid Interior
-TD5 style acoustic footwell mats
-TD5 rubberized floor mat/tunnel cover
-TD5 seatbox mat
-Defender seats, full exmoor black re-trim kit and seat heater kit waiting to be installed.
-Leather wrapped 48 spline steering wheel
-MUD UK center console
-New defender loadspace mat
-New Lesalle headliner
-Original series seatbox and galvanized door sill channels

Wheel and Tire
-Original 15" series wheels powder coated black.
-33x10.5 KM2 tires.

Under the Hood
1969 Land Rover Series/Defender 90 Hybrid Under the Hood
-200tdi engine
-Full width intercooler
-Mandrel bent intercooler pipes and full mandrel bent 2.5 exhaust
-New/rebuilt R380 from AW Transmissions UK
-1.2 T case from D1
-Lots of new parts- all new hoses, gaskets, timing belt/tensioner, alternator, radiator, brake/clutch lines, brake/clutch master cylinder, etc.

Suspension
-D1 axles and suspension
-Tru-trac rear diff, stock 3.54 gearing.
-Self made bolt on front shock towers with 11" fox shocks.
-Meridian rebuilt power steering box

Other
1969 Land Rover Series/Defender 90 Hybrid Other 1969 Land Rover Series/Defender 90 Hybrid Other 1969 Land Rover Series/Defender 90 Hybrid Other
-Original series fuel tank relocated to the rear
-Custom self-made front bumper from 3/16 and DOM tubing
-2 Hella 4000 HID euro beam lights on the bumper
Comments: 2 / Views: 4691
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2015, 10:48 AM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

what type of air filter do you have in there? is there a K&N stuffed in the wing?
Old February 23rd, 2015, 12:47 AM
Macker
Mack Crouch
1988 110 LS 5.3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz View Post
what type of air filter do you have in there? is there a K&N stuffed in the wing?
Yes. With my longer travel shock towers I couldn't stuff a factory air cleaner in there very easily so I used a k&n filter and made up the intermediate pipe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Build-up's, Projects & Registry Profiles > Defender & Series Truck Registry

Tags
90, defender, defender 90, land rover, series