ZF4HP22 transmission question..... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 20th, 2005, 10:44 AM
kiphartzell
Kip Hartzell
'95 4.2L NAS D90

Cool ZF4HP22 transmission question.....

I have a newly rebuilt ZF-4HP22 in a 95 NAS D90. It has been running fine since installation (about 2500 miles). Yesterday, the transmission would not stop rolling in Park. All other drive gears including reverse seem to work fine. Fluid levels are fine. It appears to be something wrong with the Mechanical Parking Pawl. My question; are problems with the parking pawl an isolated issue, or is this just the start of bigger problems with the transmission? The workshop manuals seems to indicate that a parking pawl problem could be fixed without tearing into the whole tansmission (just removing governor housing). Any experience or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

If you remove the t-box and transmission extension case you can access the park pawl mechanism without removing the transmission. I've seen a few broken and it has always been the transmission case breaking that was the problem. This can happen if the vehicle is hit when parked, winched onto a towtruck in park, or if the vehicles winch is being used with the auto trans in park. It is easier to remove the trans and t-box as an assembly rather than removing the components individually and easier and cleaner to work on the trans on the bench...although it can be disassembled in the car if you really want to.
Old December 20th, 2005, 01:37 PM
m.olivares
marc olivares

you sure that the linkage is adjusted correctly?
are you actually hitting park on the trans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2005, 01:57 PM
kiphartzell
Kip Hartzell
'95 4.2L NAS D90

Thanks Rob, I have been meaning to pull the t-case since I have a small leak (90W) where the trans and t-box mate. The parking pawl problem starting without any of the above things you mentioned. I drove to work and when I got there, I put it in park and noticed it would roll. It was working before that and NO improper stress was put on the drivetrain while in park. Sounds like if the case broke, a completely new transmission would be required to fix the problem; Otherwise, parts may be available to fix. Correct?

Follow-up Post:

I'll check shift linkage adjustment tonight when I get home. Although, shifting into gear seemed to be ok.
Old December 20th, 2005, 10:09 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
You shouldnt let those guys at RCH drive your truck

Its a sweet machine last time I saw it the Badger was on it.
Old December 21st, 2005, 10:05 AM
kiphartzell
Kip Hartzell
'95 4.2L NAS D90

Yep, I will be dropping by RCH tomorrow to discuss. They did a good job on the original install.
Old December 21st, 2005, 01:50 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

You can adjust the linkeage at the rod that actuates the transmission. It is threaded. I would bet it needs an adjustment. Make the connection longer. Disconnect it fron the transmission first. Then roll the attachment out and retighten the locknuts. Maybe the RCH dudes can get it for you.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old December 21st, 2005, 10:47 PM
kiphartzell
Kip Hartzell
'95 4.2L NAS D90

Bad news is; the shift linkage is properly adjusted too. I actually removed the linkage and made sure trans lever was in park. It still rolled and I even heard a slight ticking noise somewhere near the tail of the trans. Seems like the parking pawl lever is not fully engaging. Off to RCH tomorrow to discuss options, but sounds like a teardown is forth coming. .....And I thought I didn't have much to do over the Christmas Holiday weekend!
Old December 22nd, 2005, 12:07 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
yeah when I was there last Larry had finished your ignition, he seemed proud of his work. pretty bling and it sounds o so good
Old December 28th, 2005, 09:11 AM
kiphartzell
Kip Hartzell
'95 4.2L NAS D90

Here is the latest, just for a more complete recordn in this thread. The problem seems to be "adjustment" related. The trans does go into "park" (ie, parking pawl engages) occasionally. It appears that the rod/spring/cup associated with actuating the mechanical lever may need to be tweaked slighty to properly engage under all circumstances. RCH had a spared trans torn apart at their shop which allowed for a good looksee into how the parking pawl should work. However, I really won't know until I tear into the faulty trans. Thanks for your previous replies.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
transmission