ZF4hp22 differences from different models/years - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 29th, 2016, 09:36 PM
RamblerRob
Rob Apps
1967 series 2a 109 NADA

Registry
ZF4hp22 differences from different models/years

I'm trying to sort out the differences in transmissions between the various models/years that used the zf4hp22

My project needs a ZF where the torque converter feet sit +/- 50mm back from the bellhousing face. Seems like that means I need one that was mounted to a 3.5l v8 or 3.9l v8.

The one I have in my garage(which was a bargain at 20$!) has a torque converter that sits 27mm back. (checked on ashcroft site vs the box code and 27mm is the correct depth)

What I'm trying to get my head around is what these various boxes is different?
Is it simply the size of torque converter that shipped with them?
Are there certain parts that could be replaced to give me the depth that I need?
What about mounting points, Are the mounting points for the engine and trans the same between the 3.9 v8 trucks and the 4.0 v8 trucks?

Any info would be appreciated

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2016, 09:56 PM
One Ten
Sam
1994 NAS SW

Sounds like you just need a torque converter from a 14CUX truck (RRC or 94-95 Disco). The ZF trans from these trucks are pretty much the same but came with different torque converters to match up to either a GEMS or 14CUX engine.
Old March 29th, 2016, 10:04 PM
RamblerRob
Rob Apps
1967 series 2a 109 NADA

Registry
That is more or less what I was hoping to hear. I'm struggling to find a '94-'95 disco parts truck at the price I want and nearby, but I dont mind buying a new torque converter. (Probably should anyway.. not sure how long this one was rattling around the guys garage before I ended up with it)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
mod