Zf autos all the same length? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 27th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Zf autos all the same length?

Are all the zf autos, tdi and v8, the same length?

I've been looking into the tdi swap pretty hard lately and haven't sold myself on either the manual or the auto yet. But I was wondering if the zf auto for a tdi is the same total length as the v8 one. It would be nice to leave the driveshafts alone and just be able to bolt the trans/transfer case in the same spot.

I have the auto v8 now and I keep hearing from people that if you go tdi auto you need a new crossmember to mount the auto. I thought that all autos would be the same length. Does the tdi bellhousing do something?

So does anyone know about this?

Old January 27th, 2012, 01:58 PM
1999 Disco 1 SD w/300tdi
The ZF transmissions are the same length but the bellhousings are different.

On the V8 the transmission is attached directly to the vehicle chassis and the cross member is naked.

On the tdi/R380, one of the transmission/torque converter mounts is attached to the crossmember so a different crossmember is needed if you go manual. Mounts are very different too, probably due to the different weights and vibration characteristics, diesel vs gas.

In my opinion, the tdi works better with the manual transmission.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions