Zerk Fittings on Drive Shafts - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 19th, 2004, 03:28 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Zerk Fittings on Drive Shafts

This is embarassing.... When greasing the drive shafts and spare tire carrier through the zerk fittings, just how far should the fittings be loosened? It seems like the grease never really gets into the driveshaft fittings, just oozes out around it. Anyone have elementary procedures for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2004, 03:32 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
it does that I am not sure why, I dont think its a matter of being loose or tight just the way it is. Just hold the nozzle for the greese gun on tight as possible I guess.
Old August 19th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

You can adjust the end of the nozzle by turning it so that it fits tighter. Grease should come out of all the caps on the U-joints and the end of the splins on the shaft, if not then yuo may need to replace the U-joints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2004, 03:50 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Is it possible for the ZERK to get contaminated thus causing the greese to not enter as it should? dumb question indeed but I figure I would ask, I think I already know the answer
Old August 19th, 2004, 03:56 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

The zerks can get full of crap and need removal and cleaning. Ive done that before. I guess my question is more if I am following the right procedures for greasing. Back off the zerk fitting about a turn and a half or so (tight British tolerances and all) and put the nozzle end of the grease gun over the zerk as far as it will go. Squeeze lithium grease into the zerk until she overflows. Is that right or am I just missing something really obvious?
Old August 19th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Sounds about right Ron, but like I said, when I grease the UJs grease comes out around the 4 cups, and not the zerk, when it comes out the cups that means that you are pushing the old dirty grease out and putting new grease in. The zerks in UJs are only screwed on, so you can take it off and lean it, or just replace them as they are pretty cheap.
Old August 19th, 2004, 04:20 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Sounds like my Lowe's $15 grease gun might have a nozzle that's too big. Guess I thought they were all the same size.
Old August 19th, 2004, 04:53 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

I Zirk-squirted the driveshafts on my D1 for the first time a few weeks ago (some parts of my education are still severely lacking <G>). It took me a couple of tries to get the correct pressure on the fitting so that the grease would go into the Zirk instead of around it.

The wrong sized grease gun fitting would be my second guess.
Old August 19th, 2004, 06:47 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Ron - I'm not sure why you're loosening the fitting. I've never done that. The zerk is just a check valve so I don't see any reason for loosening it (or am I missing something). Maybe that's why the grease is oozing out of the fitting instead of going where it's suppose to go.
Old August 19th, 2004, 08:30 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

And Olympic Gold for being a dumbass goes to ..... me.

I was backing off the zerk, enough to allow grease to come out as I pumped it in. Not sure where I "learned" the back off the zerk routine. Works just fine if left alone.

Now, I use just plain old lithium grease, smelly black stuff. I notice the dealer uses a mighty thick and sticky grease that is more brown in color. Any test results or does it matter?

Grease the snot out of that factory rear spare tire carrier fellas, it will reduce the rattles and tighten things up for you....
Old August 20th, 2004, 08:04 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I use mobile one grease, it's red, it lasts longer then the other stuff and is easier to tell if it is good or bad due to the color.
Old January 22nd, 2005, 04:19 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

All,

I just did my first home driveshaft lube. Come to discover that the stock front drive shaft on my '93 110 does not have any zerk fittings (I have a Tom Woods on the rear). How the hell do you lube the U joints and shaft? Wondering when (105K miles) the last time was that they got lubed, too. They are tight, but now I don't trust 'em.

Comments and advice?

Doug W.
Old January 22nd, 2005, 08:59 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
All,

I just did my first home driveshaft lube. Come to discover that the stock front drive shaft on my '93 110 does not have any zerk fittings (I have a Tom Woods on the rear). How the hell do you lube the U joints and shaft? Wondering when (105K miles) the last time was that they got lubed, too. They are tight, but now I don't trust 'em.

Comments and advice?

Doug W.
Doug,

I think you can either replace the u joints with zerk fitted ones, or replace the shaft itself as a unit. Either way, it should help you sleep at night.

Ron w.,

don't sweat your experience. This is something I learned the first go around too. It's all in the fun. At least you now know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 22nd, 2005, 09:31 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Thanks, David. I read the faqs looking for a write-up on a u joint install and didn't find a lot of help. Can you or anyone else point me at a good source? Any special tools needed?

Doug W.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 11:04 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Doug,
I usually use a hammer, vise and some sockets, snap ring pliers, and round file to install a u-joint. It is one of my least favorite jobs to do. If you've never done it, I highly recommend practicing on a used driveshaft to get the feel of the job. Personally, if it were an option, I would let a driveshaft shop do it. If you take them the shaft, they may be able to do it while you wait. Also, your factory shaft should have zerk fittings...clean everything off well, the fittings may have broken off or fell out. If they,ve broken off, a small EZout will usually get the fragment out.
Rob
Old January 23rd, 2005, 11:27 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Doug,
having a shop press or even a small arbor press can make quick work of the more frustrating parts of a u-joint job. They're cheaper than you may think and don't take up a lot of space in the garage. I also saw a "u-joint tool kit" for sale in my Harbor Freight tool catalog. Only $30, it looks like a small handheld press you could throw in your toolbox for when you're in the field. I've never used one, but the concept looks right. They're stuff is generally cheap, but it's cheap, if you know what I mean?

Rod

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions