your input regarding this rust - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 25th, 2008, 05:57 PM
ultimatespine
abe
none

your input regarding this rust

hi folks,

your input is greatly appreciated regarding this d90.

what do you think of this rust on this vehicle? is this considered severe? is it common?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11250819.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	16568   Click image for larger version

Name:	11250820.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	16569  

Name:	11250821.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	16570   Click image for larger version

Name:	11250822.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	16571  

Name:	11250823.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	16572   Click image for larger version

Name:	11250824.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	16573  

Name:	11250826.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	16574   Click image for larger version

Name:	11250827.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	16575  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2008, 06:29 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Seems pretty typical for a 94/95 that has been driven in the Northeast with probably 100K miles.

Looks like they tried to spray over it in the back.

The swivel balls look a little scored.

The pitman ball joint is probably shot as are the panhard bushings based on the amount of decay.

Would not be fun trying to get the bolts off the swivel balls from the axle!!
Old November 25th, 2008, 06:56 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
That looks pretty bad to me - the gas tank support plate (skid) must have rusted off and they welded in a support bar. You should be able to do a lot better than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

that's a really weird exhaust. It looks like it ends in front of the rear axle.
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:13 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Lets see the rear crossmember.
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:13 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I've seen worse (I own worse) but that's pretty bad. Whats worse though is all the attempts to cover it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 25th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Yeah, I would definitely be skeptical of that bulkhead. Try poking it with your fingers and check the sides of it as well. Those pillars by the door jam where the dome light switch is mounted can get really bad from the inside out. The floor of my bulkhead didn't look as bad as that one probably did before it got painted and the sides ended up being completely shot. Just make sure to poke and prod around everywhere to see how bad it really is before you buy it.
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:37 PM
ultimatespine
abe
none

thank you for the feedback guys. with what you see, what would you say a truck like that is worth with about 100k?
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

IMO, somewhere around $10-12k considering all the cleaner ones currently being offered at $15-18k. I'm sure the seller is probably asking more than that, but if it were me, I wouldn't pay more than that knowing what it takes to make these things right. All the little things really add up quickly, so you have to take all that into account when negotiating.
Old November 25th, 2008, 10:12 PM
ultimatespine
abe
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
IMO, somewhere around $10-12k considering all the cleaner ones currently being offered at $15-18k. I'm sure the seller is probably asking more than that, but if it were me, I wouldn't pay more than that knowing what it takes to make these things right. All the little things really add up quickly, so you have to take all that into account when negotiating.
asking almost $15K and it comes with only a bikini top. i guess it's not a steal.

with all that rust, can it be salvaged? or will it need a whole new frame? at that point is it even worth it or just wait for a better one to come along in that price range?
Old November 25th, 2008, 10:28 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The stuff can be fixed but it adds up fast. Usually a truck like that is bought for a steal and then just driven as-is for as long as you can stand it.

I have one for sale in that price range that is much less rusty.

Old November 26th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I agree with Jim. A truck like that usually ends up a trail truck for someone, or someone might buy it for a rebuild, but then it is really just a pile of parts with a title. $15k is about what I expected the asking price would be. I would say if you can get it for $10-12k it would be worth it if you can do the work yourself. I didn't get a look at the cross member, but the frame didn't look too bad aside from that. I would say you could salvage the frame, and probably the bulkhead and enjoy it, but keep in mind that there are people selling D90's here for that price that are in better shape like JimC for example. I think there are still a couple more in the $15-18k range on this board that haven't sold yet but are in better shape too. Troll the sale ads on here; you will find some very reasonably priced trucks, and sellers who are upfront and honest about the condition.
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:56 AM
ultimatespine
abe
none

this is the listing. from one of the pics you can see the footwell prior to being painted (as shown in my initial post).

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true
Old November 26th, 2008, 11:13 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Abe, I would pass on it .
There is one in somerville Ma that i saw at a dealer for $22k much better than this. and it has a hard top.
Old November 26th, 2008, 11:44 AM
ultimatespine
abe
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron
Abe, I would pass on it .
There is one in somerville Ma that i saw at a dealer for $22k much better than this. and it has a hard top.
yeah i saw that ad. it seems like he keeps going between $22k and 24. have you seen it in person?
Old November 26th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

You know...I think it looked a lot less menacing before! All that crappy cover up work in the foot well made it look like it was hiding a lot more than it really was. I can't see the whole foot well in the before shot, but it actually looks relatively solid in that picture.
Old November 26th, 2008, 01:31 PM
ultimatespine
abe
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
You know...I think it looked a lot less menacing before! All that crappy cover up work in the foot well made it look like it was hiding a lot more than it really was. I can't see the whole foot well in the before shot, but it actually looks relatively solid in that picture.
that's what i was thinking, but of course i haven't seen it in person. the undercarriage looks brutal however.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions