You can change a front fender skin out with the rollcage in place right? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 15th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Question You can change a front fender skin out with the rollcage in place right?

I want to replace my right passenger side wing skin because the old one has some dents on it from the PO. I think I saw a pic on ECR with a truck that had the wing skin removed only not the cage or any other panel. I'm assuming you just take off the flares and access the bolts via long extensions and elbow joints to your ratchet? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Neil

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2011, 09:03 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

If it is your soft top just take a frame off as it is easy.
Old June 15th, 2011, 09:03 PM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

Hi, Neil-

Assuming that you can loosen the right side front cage support and leave the cage in place without it getting hung up due to corrosion, etc, it should be possible.

As I recall from replacing my wing sides several years ago on one of my trucks, the hardware between top and side are hard to get to, but accessible with little hands and/or the right tools. (Expect some of the bolts to shear, however, if corrosion is present. (No big deal, and sometimes easier to remove and replace with new. I remember one or two that were easier to tighten and shear than to try and get them apart for reuse.)

Then, the rear of the panel has a 90-degree lip that is secured against the bulkhead behind the cage front support bracket. (The top of this bracket is the rounded rectangle that the exposed cage front bolts down to.) The side panel bolt holes that the bracket goes through are slotted to allow for it to slide out and/or be adjusted as I remember, with one or two holes. Most of the side lip-to-bulkhead hardware can be loosened and left in place, hopefully. I'd also recommend loosening the four cage front to bracket bolts through the wing top to allow for a little more wiggle room as you're removing the side panel.

Make any sense? I'll try and find a picture and scan it in for posting. For what it's worth, I had my cage off for recoating when I screwed around with this, but I remember what it looked like when I took it all apart.

Murph
'89 D110SW
'16 LR4

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
D90s sold while assigned overseas. You're welcome America!
'06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
'8X FankenRover D100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2011, 09:17 PM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

I looked through the parts manual for a good diagram, but none show it very well. The following, however may help my description make more sense.

From someone's Ebay ad, the back side of a side panel. (Look a the back edge that goes toward the bulkhead.)

Also, a webpage I remembered and rediscovered with a Google search. The page author was installing a NAS-ish cage on his Euro 90, but his photos are great and show how the cage supports and wings are bolted on.

http://www.roverworld.com/rollbar_english2.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqV,!i8E2Ll3eQocBNrycDwqeQ~~_12.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	39702  
'89 D110SW
'16 LR4

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
'8X FankenRover D100
Old June 15th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
X2 on what Murph said.

I am becoming an expert on replacing wings and skins *LOL*

the only hurdle to overcome is if your captive nuts on top ( where the 3 pieces tie together -inner fender, wing top and skin ) are rusted or hurt , I had one where the dent was in that area and a MoFo to remove.

Also the area of the front panel will represent a challenge with the wing mounted, and when you add all the cursing , bleeding knuckles etc, removing the whole wing is not that bad of an idea
Old June 15th, 2011, 09:45 PM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

X2 on what Gustavo said!

In the front as he mentioned, you'll probably want to remove as much of the headlight, bowl, light spat, signals stuff, etc. in order to access the three-piece corner he talked about. Obviously the fender eyebrow, liner, etc need to get pulled as well to get behind the top-to-side seam and undo the bolts. (And it will still be a PIA, but do-able.)

A mini pair of vice-grips, especially some with a needle nose is helpful for grabbing the back side of bolt heads/nuts. If used, however, make sure that they are not pushing against the aluminum skin before clamping them closed or turning, or you may end up with nice dents outward in the aluminum.

Another tac you may consider is if your side panel is really hosed up anyway and that's why you're removing it, you could carefully cut much of it away to allow easier/closer access to seams with a good pair of tin snips or pneumatic or electric nibbler. (Just leave an inch or two of the side panel to the seams.) Putting it back together is a lot easier than taking it apart.
'89 D110SW
'16 LR4

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
'8X FankenRover D100
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:37 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

If you are replacing the panel, it's sacrificial. Cut it out, you'll thank yourself when you don't have to wrangle corroded fasteners with your fingertips.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old June 16th, 2011, 11:29 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

you can more of a pain than its worth its 10 torx then it is off.

once its off you can give it a spray with some black satin

make sure you cover the bonnet with a blanet to protect it when you remove it.

I have pulled my a pillar at least 10x and its no more than a half hour.
Old June 16th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Thanks guys I think I will just cut it up, thats a great idea since I'm just going to trash it anyway. My hands are kinda big so I'm kinda worried about accessing the bolts through the inner fender and the outskin. I was trying to avoid taking off the cage but it might not be so bad either. Barry it is a softtop but it has a fiberglass roof so its harder to access the upper cage bolts.

Robert Deniro
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:00 PM
bjp
Brent
1995 D90

Yes

I was in same boat as you. Did not want to take hardtop off to get to two bolts. Here are some pics.

11 mm small wrench
Socket with 2 extensions and swivel head.

Left hand side is easier than right. Right hand side you have to take wing top heater vent out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wing1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	68621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	68622  

Name:	Wing3.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	68623  
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:42 PM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

Never mind.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, cage, ht