york compressor - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 2nd, 2006, 06:55 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

york compressor

Any one ever run an engine mouted york compressor? I ahve one inthe garage and was thinking about trying to mount in the the A/C compressor spot. Any thoughts? I know about the oil filters and all the air fittings more mounting info is needed.

Trying to do this on a 300tdi, so serpitine is the issue... any help woudl be great... like how to get the clutch to work with anew pully and where to get a pully
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:40 PM
Maine 110
Ware/Jesse
Recovering 110 Owner

There was company that used to make a kit to fit it under the stock AC compressor I think. This is going back a long way like 99 or 2000 if I recall, here are two posts on the old site pertaining to using the York, I seem to remember someone figured out how to get one in under the stock ac but mabee I am wrong.

Sent: Friday, August 11, 2000 3:00 PM
Subject: Re: [D90] ready air

Dave G wrote:
>Okay, dumb question time....
>Is the Ready-Air compressor engine driven or electric?
>I couldn't figure it out form the two postings to the FAQ.

Both!
Unfortunately, two different products by two different companies, with the same name!

The engine-driven one was made by Therold industries (760) 356-4516 for the 3.9 V8 only (up to '95 model)

The Electric Ready Air is made by Automatic Controls Technology - tel: (800) 982-0409). They have two models:
- the 2 stage, 1/2 hp gives 1.1 cfm @ 175 psi, continuous duty! but it is big 'n' expensive (18x12x8, 47 lbs, about $1200) and sucks 42 amps
- the 1/3 hp single stage gives 1 cfm @ 120 psi, continuous duty. It is more reasonable size, but still pretty big (34 lbs, 9" w, 7" h, 14" l) and costs about $600.

FAQ that!

===============
A while back I posted pics of my Ready Air installation. I found that (at least here in Texas) I was getting too much oil (from the compressor) and water (from the humidity) in my air line for airing up tires. In fact, I could drain out a good cup full of emulsion from the tank after a weekend of use (no knowing how much was getting into the tires, but they should be real slick 'n' easy to pop off the rims! Anyway, to get round this, I assembled a H-manifold (after a few false starts in the prototype stage!) which is as tidy as I could make it. It has an inlet and three outlets:

Filtered max pressure (180 psi) with a variable flow control for airing tires, air beds, rubber duckies
Regulated, filtered air (currently set at 90 psi) for ARB actuation (or othe low pressure/clean air applications).
Regulated oiled air for running air tools (impact wrench air socket, drill, grinder).

I posted pics and details on the extreme site:
http://www.learnlink.emory.edu/solar...WConf/Extreme/

Doug
'95 Red Defender 90 5-speed
'95 Aspen Silver Range Rover 4.0

========================

Jesse

Recovering NAS 110 Owner.

There is a thin line beyond which you really can't fake...
Old October 3rd, 2006, 01:27 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I am running the York on my v-belt set up--I had to design and make a compressor bracket that located the pulley in line, but that was all it took. Same scenario for you--just figure a way to put the pulley centered on your serp belt--there are two standard pulleys commonly available for the York, both a V-belt and a Serp. Local junk yard you should be able to find one--just look in mercedes and volvos. The clutch magneto or whatever that wire wound part is is the same for both parts. Common Timken Bearing, so if it spins rough, just replace that. You could just convert a sanden style, requires a few more mods and is less powerful but it would mate up easier.

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 15th, 2012, 09:39 AM
sad_story
andre
95' D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
I am running the York on my v-belt set up--I had to design and make a compressor bracket that located the pulley in line, but that was all it took. Same scenario for you--just figure a way to put the pulley centered on your serp belt--there are two standard pulleys commonly available for the York, both a V-belt and a Serp. Local junk yard you should be able to find one--just look in mercedes and volvos. The clutch magneto or whatever that wire wound part is is the same for both parts. Common Timken Bearing, so if it spins rough, just replace that. You could just convert a sanden style, requires a few more mods and is less powerful but it would mate up easier.

C

Old thread, I know any pictures? Which model york?
Old January 18th, 2012, 10:05 AM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Jeff. Please do. I am looking to do this as well on my 97.
Old March 17th, 2012, 01:45 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Sure would love to see some pics.
Old March 17th, 2012, 03:50 AM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

I just bought one on ebay and plan on making a bracket to install it when the weather gets a little warmer.
Old February 1st, 2013, 12:12 AM
sad_story
andre
95' D90

I'd like to get a compressor for my 4,6 d-90.... Already have an AC.... Anyone have any thoughts on how to do that?
Old February 1st, 2013, 02:24 AM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

http://stores.ebay.com/bestaccompres...sub=2299167010
Old February 1st, 2013, 02:53 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

I've got a york210 here (had it for years) with a brand new serp pulley, waiting for me to make a Td5 bracket.
Old February 1st, 2013, 02:45 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

That bracket looks like a York-to-Sanden conversion. I'm looking for a bracket to mount a York in my 94 NAS in place of the stock AC compressor.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 05:55 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

York compressors were used in early Range Rover applications (I just took one of an '84). There is a genuine part that will bolt right to your passenger side location. Nice cast bracket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:24 AM
sad_story
andre
95' D90

Any thoughts/experience or places to direct me to, for trying to add a York, to a D-90, without removing a/c compressor?
Old February 2nd, 2013, 01:23 PM
sad_story
andre
95' D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
The actual bracket ive got goes both ways.

I know Mike Slade is running dual Sandens in his Crew Cab. Ill see if i can get a pic from him to show location etc.

-Jeff

thanks
Old February 2nd, 2013, 09:30 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_story View Post
thanks
Just keep in mind that the York and Sanden are two very different compressors. To the best of my knowledge, you cannot run a York with stock AC.
Old March 20th, 2015, 10:47 PM
sad_story
andre
95' D90

Quote:
Im assuming he wants the York for on board air. -Jeff -
Correct

------ Follow up post added March 20th, 2015 06:49 PM ------

Quote:
Ive got an adapter that mounts a York into the stock (sandin) mounts. Ill dig arround and see if I can find it and post a pic. -Jeff
Did you every get that pic?
Old June 11th, 2015, 01:40 PM
sad_story
andre
95' D90

Quote:
Im assuming he wants the York for on board air. -Jeff -
Any luck on that pic? Pm me if you need and email address
Old June 11th, 2015, 02:18 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Would like to know as well; I would still like to swap out my AC compressor for a trail air compressor.
Old June 11th, 2015, 02:20 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Nice to see this post again. Would love to see a bracket for mounting the York on the 300Tdi in the stock location.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
/
Old June 11th, 2015, 02:20 PM
sad_story
andre
95' D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97-D90-736 View Post
Would like to know as well; I would still like to swap out my AC compressor for a trail air compressor.
I'm being greedy, I want both

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
compressor