York 210 OBA install 200tdi - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 26th, 2012, 11:00 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Thanks guys. The gauge on the rear is there to show tank pressure. It's meant to be an "at a glance" way of seeing what the pressure in the tank is. The alternative would be to put something in the cab, but this just seemed simpler.

Thanks Jeff, I'll stop by Tipco and grab a few of those covers

I'm going to try and find a 45 degree 1/4" NPT fitting to point the universal coupler away from the tub

Yes, I am definitely going to need a new fitting for the outlet side of the compressor to run 3/8" hose.

Charles, I am definitely looking forward to using it on the trail at Rausch! You'll be able to see what I mean by belt flapping.

I'm also tempted to bring along a small sandblasting gun and do impromptu rust removal for people
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 26th, 2012, 01:08 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Anybody done this on a 94 3.9 yet?
Old April 26th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

Ed, mine flaps around like a wet noodle as well. It only does it at idle but once you bring the RPM's up it looks tight and right. I talked to John B about this and his does the same. I've yet to do it but John made a little protection wrap for the lower radiator hose that sits right below your York unit on the off chance the belt hits it. I believe he's been running his for a couple of years with no issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 26th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
An idler/tensioner on the non tensioned side would be the best solution. I only use my when filling tires or running air tools. If you leave it on all the time for lockers or something, it might be a good idea to have the idler. When the compressor is off, it is fine. The stock AC does have an idler that mounts from the timing pin access plate that might work. They are probably hard to find though...
Old April 26th, 2012, 02:38 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Ahh, thanks red! That's the term I was looking for. idler pulleys are much cheaper than looking for tensioner pulleys.

Thanks Chris, it's good to know that others are suffering from the same issue. As you say it doesn't seem to be a problem other than being visually disconcerting. I don't plan to run the compressor continuously unless the vehicle is stopped and tires are being inflated/tools are being used/things are being painted.

I'm almost tempted to make an ABEC5 skatewheel tensioner like I did on a minibike I built years ago with my little brother. It is cheap and provides the necessary functionality.
Old April 26th, 2012, 03:08 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Anybody done this on a 94 3.9 yet?
Davis did this mod on his truck a few years back and then removed it when he switched the front cover to the serpentine setup. I am just starting this on my 94 and will try to remember to take a bunch of photos as I go but I am normally terrible at that! I can tell you that 3.9 has the benefit of a near perfect alignment of the pulleys on the water pump with the pulleys on the compressor with the York sitting flat against the face of the cylinder head but it also does not lend itself to a pivot mount like the TDI guys normally run with. I am planning to use a fixed mount for the compressor and an idler pulley (hopefully incorporating an alternator tensioner)

------ Follow up post added April 26th, 2012 03:09 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Thanks guys. The gauge on the rear is there to show tank pressure. It's meant to be an "at a glance" way of seeing what the pressure in the tank is. The alternative would be to put something in the cab, but this just seemed simpler.

Thanks Jeff, I'll stop by Tipco and grab a few of those covers

I'm going to try and find a 45 degree 1/4" NPT fitting to point the universal coupler away from the tub

Yes, I am definitely going to need a new fitting for the outlet side of the compressor to run 3/8" hose.

Charles, I am definitely looking forward to using it on the trail at Rausch! You'll be able to see what I mean by belt flapping.

I'm also tempted to bring along a small sandblasting gun and do impromptu rust removal for people
I am heading to Tipco this afternoon as my "custom" fittings are done and can look to see if they have any if you want
Old April 26th, 2012, 03:38 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
I am heading to Tipco this afternoon as my "custom" fittings are done and can look to see if they have any if you want
Yes please, thanks Jeff!! Please pick up 2 for me...I will pay you back.
Old April 26th, 2012, 03:57 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
Davis did this mod on his truck a few years back and then removed it when he switched the front cover to the serpentine setup. I am just starting this on my 94 and will try to remember to take a bunch of photos as I go but I am normally terrible at that! I can tell you that 3.9 has the benefit of a near perfect alignment of the pulleys on the water pump with the pulleys on the compressor with the York sitting flat against the face of the cylinder head but it also does not lend itself to a pivot mount like the TDI guys normally run with. I am planning to use a fixed mount for the compressor and an idler pulley (hopefully incorporating an alternator tensioner)
If you do this, would you mind documenting the specs/dimensions for the fixed mount? The mounting plate is the secret sauce and if you want to sell one, it's worth it to me not to have to work out the dimensions on my own, especially since I don't weld.
Old May 28th, 2012, 05:43 PM
323jamie
jamie
83 D110 RHD 300tdi Disco conversion

Registry
good information
Old June 15th, 2014, 03:50 PM
D1104x4life
Seth
1983 Defender 110

Great Thread!!! I was just brainstorming and was able to steal the York off of my 73 Minnie Winnie. This is awesome info!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, tdi