Yokohama mts - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 3rd, 2005, 04:41 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

Yokohama mts

Good? Bad? Been considering this tire as an alternative to the bfg mt. I read about them in a magazine and the review said they have superior toughness and grip. Anybody have these or heard anything about them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2005, 05:16 PM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

I've got them. They do well in dry conditions. They suck in mud.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 06:15 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

Really, do you have the plus or the regular ones. The mag I looked at says they are good for mud because the uni directional tread self cleans well. I dunno the mag might not be too reliable. I am looking for a tire that is bearable on the highway but is good in the mud. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2005, 06:29 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Good on road and god in mud? I don't think it exsits. So you have BFGs right now? And you want something better in the mud, I would say SSRs, but they are noiser then BFGs.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 07:39 PM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

Russell,

I've got the regular sized tires. They are great on the road and do really well in the sand (lot's of that in New Mexico) and well enough on the newbie rocks I've tried. It snowed and rained here last weekend and the area where I usually play with the D was pretty damp. The tires loaded up really quickly with the slimy sulphur colored mud near one of the steep hills I usually climb with ease. The yellow-brown donuts lost grip on the hill and I slid sideways and down rather than climbed up! They were so loaded up with mud that I didn't want to try any of the rocks out in the area.

By the way, they were great on road in what little rain we get down here in New Mexico.
Old February 3rd, 2005, 09:21 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

Talking

Where is the pic on your avatar, can't be new mexico
Old February 3rd, 2005, 09:49 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

My good buddy had these on his jeep for many years. He said he liked them and they did do well. I rode with him in sand and rock. His one complaint was that he said they wore really fast.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 4th, 2005, 01:19 AM
Sergeant_V
Abel Villesca
1995 D-90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustydefender
Where is the pic on your avatar, can't be new mexico
Believe it or not, that actually is New Mexico. One day last month we got a lot more snow than I've seen here in a while. Naturally I had to spend my lunch hour driving in the snow on Sandia Crest (10,000 feet) during my lunch hour. I knew it would be my only chance for a snow poser shot for a long time

Here's a pic of what it usually looks like out here. This was only 10 days after the little snow storm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sandstonerock.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	2419  
Old February 4th, 2005, 11:00 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

But no rusting!
Old February 5th, 2005, 06:27 AM
4WD-90
Christopher Stanish
1994 defender 90

Smile

I know you are asking about MT's, but I used to have the Goelander AT's. They were great for light offroading, snow, light mud. They rode great and super quiet on the highway, they did seem to wear down kind of fast though. If I had a spare set of wheels, I would probably buy Yokahama's, and switch them when needed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions