Yet another tire carrier question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 9th, 2011, 02:42 PM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

Yet another tire carrier question

As a first post, I'd just like to say thanks to all of you who make this forum such a great place. The collective knowledge and enthusiasm to help is absolutely awesome, and makes this site such a pleasant place to hunt for answers and solutions.
As for the tire carrier question, it seems that after 5 hours of searching / reading, I'm a bit more confused than I started! I am looking to change tires to 285-75-16 SSR's on Wolf wheels. I've read so many horror stories about people's rear SW doors not being able to handle the weight, that I am looking for a solution before I make the switch. I was wondering if the Mantec can accommodate a 35" tire should I ever want the added rubber? Also, is it sturdy enough to run a high lift mounted to the spare wheel, or am I now flirting with too much weight for it? The other option I've been toying with is the Rockware rear bumper setup, but it's VERY expensive, and did make me nervous to read that a couple of people had rattling issues with theirs.

Thanks so much in advance!

-Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2011, 03:23 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Rock Ware makes quality stuff and they are good folks. I can't imagine a Rock Ware product having an issue that Matt won't make right.
Old October 9th, 2011, 08:10 PM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

I do love Rock Ware's gear, and their front bumper / brushguard is on my short To Do list. I was trying not to go with such an expensive setup on the rear as I already have bumperettes on the corners. Also, I have a Weimaraner as a shadow, so not sure if it's a huge pain to open the latch on the bumper all the time before the door handle to let her in and out. But considering the ability for a possible 35 in the future, and maybe a hi lift, I'm not sure how many other options are out there.

Thanks!

-Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2011, 08:28 PM
pacificwildfire
William
94 d90

I am also in the same boat. Torn between the rockware, or the mantec. I dont have a rear step, so that pushes me toward the rockware. I would be interested in hearing real world experiences with the rockware as well.
Old October 9th, 2011, 09:26 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Anything built by Rockware will have the best fit and finish for a Defender. I bet the rockware will approch 2k after shipping so that is a consideration. I dont see why they couldnt make it open and close with the rear door like the mantec. opening and closing that rear carrier will be a bitch, my friend has something like this on his FJ it really sucks. There was a sharp looking bumper/tire carrier someone built on here a while back, maybe Ron Peppard (sp) had it built. the rockware emulates the looks, its all about looks and both hit a homerun
Old October 10th, 2011, 10:12 AM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

Thanks!
I'll see what I come across. I did read somewhere that the mantec wasn't a good choice to hold the added weight of the spare with a hi lift attached to it, so I may have to go with something a bit more stout. Still don't know whether it would work with a 35" or not. I'll try calling Matt over at Rock Ware today to see if he has any ideas. 2k is a whole lot though... for just wanting to carry a tire and a jack - maybe I'll just strap the hi lift to the Weimaraner and call it a day!

-Aaron
Old October 10th, 2011, 12:39 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

I have a schrock works carrier and that accomadates a 35 with no issues
Old October 10th, 2011, 01:44 PM
esprit99
Keith Imbriglio
1997 D90 SW Arles Blue

I run Goodyear MT/R 285-75R16 on my truck on a Mantec carrier with no problems. I think the Goodyears are 33.1" tall though compared to 33.8" for the SSR. They should still fit fine I have plenty of clearance with my tires.
'97 D90 SW #2251 Arles blue
'16 RRE
'04 Disco
Old October 10th, 2011, 05:46 PM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

Quote:
Originally Posted by esprit99 View Post
I run Goodyear MT/R 285-75R16 on my truck on a Mantec carrier with no problems. I think the Goodyears are 33.1" tall though compared to 33.8" for the SSR. They should still fit fine I have plenty of clearance with my tires.
Figured the 285-75's would fit fine, was curious if it would still work with a 35" (just to leave that option open down the road) - and was also wondering if it'd handle the added weight of the hi lift. The SSR's and Wolf wheels are a pretty heavy combination from what I understand, and I think I read on Expedition Exchange not to add the hi lift to it. That said, the mantec is definitely the way i'd like to go; as it's simple and relatively inexpensive considering a lot of the alternatives. As a side note... anybody mount a hi lift to the right rear ladder of the SD roof rack? Might that solve the weight issues? Just blabbering now...

Thanks!

-Aaron
Old October 11th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Defender90_218
Trenton Smith
1997 D90

I have a set of spacers to help my 285s fit, so I put one on my Mantec tire carrier and it all works great, clears the wiper well.

I was forced to get a carrier after my door welds cracked.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
carrier, tire, tire carrier