yet another stereo question - HELP - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 28th, 2008, 09:35 AM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

yet another stereo question - HELP

Hi all,

I am running into this strange situation and hopefully someone has a fix for it.

I just installed a eclipse head unit last night, everything works perfectly till I turn off the engine.

It seems like the truck has a "delayed" acc. power, meaning that the head unit will not shut off right away but continue to play music for approx 15 sec.

BUT, here is the situation, after the unit shuts down, it tried to power up again, it will try to do that for about 10 times before complete shut down.

It seems to me the acc. power has residual power and it only gets weaker with each cycle of power on/off.

this is really driving me crazy and I know this will kill the head unit sooner than later.

TIA!!

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 28th, 2008, 10:29 AM
rickauf
rick aufderheide
95 d 90

i had the same problem... i do not know if this a correct fix, but this is what i came up with:

the acc power source seems to need astrong draw to turn it off (perhaps the factory radio draws more amps??).

anyway, i put a little 12v light (dash bulb type thing from pep boys) in line in the acc power line. between the light and the radio being turned off, this draws enough power to turn the head off right away.

found this out bu testing with my 12v test light to figure out why the new radio head would not shut off... as soon as i put the test light on the acc wire.. radio went off right away, took test light off and radio would take 30 sec to turn off and then fight to come back on.

i know this is a rig job fix, and i cannot vouch it is the correct long term solution, but it works in my 95.

good luck
Old January 28th, 2008, 11:45 AM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

thanks Rick~ that certainly sounds like a good option!! I was thinking off putting a switch there but I like the light bulb idea better~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 28th, 2008, 12:08 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini
None :-(

I've got a similar issue - it's more like 5 seconds for me - I thought mine was due to an inline noise suppressor I installed.
Old January 28th, 2008, 03:19 PM
rickauf
rick aufderheide
95 d 90

yeah, it's wierd. the stock radio did not have a delay turnoff, but for some reason an aftermarket head needs to "pull" more power from the acc wire to turn it off.

As I stated, i only discovered this by accident by testing it with the 12v light tester to make sure the wiring was right.
turn off ig... radio stayed on, then died out slow.. tried to come alive again. put my testert to the acc wire, turned on ig.. light and radio on, ig off.. light and radio both went out right away.

try it, it should do the same for you.. it's hard to expalin, but you will see what i mean.

after trying this about 50 times to make sure i was not crazy, i figured it must have something to do with current draw.. so i just wired in a 12v light in line from the acc wire to the radio. i guess it pulls enough amps to turn everything off right away.
I know this works.. but if someone much smarter than I could explain to me why this is the case, i would much appreciate it.

as to the noise supression thing.. does it work? i notice when i turn on sirius, or the ipod input is just starting up, there seems to be some "static". once turned up to volume levels acceptable while driving a 90, you can't hear any static, but with the motor off, in the garage, it's there at low volume. my sat radio and ipod are hard wired, so i know it's not that.. i figured it's beacause i kept the stock amp.. does not bother me enough to changethe amp out.. but if a supressor would work..........
i guess i first have to know where the distortion is coming from. and i don't know if they sell any of those little non rca input amps anymore

rick
Old January 28th, 2008, 05:58 PM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

rick, when you wire the 12v light in line from the acc wire to the radio, did you have to wire it to ground as well? or just connect the bulb in series?

thanks
Old January 28th, 2008, 09:20 PM
rickauf
rick aufderheide
95 d 90

yes, i had to ground the bulb. it needs to turn on to draw the current. I see a little green glow coming from under my cup holders.. which is kind of cool.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
stereo