Yet another stalling thread..just looking for some advice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 16th, 2014, 01:07 AM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

Yet another stalling thread..just looking for some advice

OK so just took an amazing 5 day trip through the Sierras, truck ran so well it was scary (new timing belt, advanced timing, etc thanks everyone, total of more than 500 miles without issue until the end). On the way home for some idiotic reason I drove the thing until the diesel light came on. Stopped, fueled up while running (lil man was asleep and I needed the AC running). 35-40 miles later while going down hill (made it up a big hill no issues) the whole car shudders like it hit a huge invisible wall for a brief second then back to normal. this happens a few more times and I realize that the engine is momentarily stalling but then compression starting itself. I think to myself…must have gotten some sediment from the tank in the system from running it down so low. So I do the following steps:

200TDI defender version

1. drain sedimenter
2. replace fuel filter (filled with injector cleaner and diesel prior to installing)
3. crank over truck to confirm lifter pump is working (and it is)
4. crack the nuts at the injectors and crank over the truck, see diesel spraying in sequence from each injector pipe
5. HAVEN'T DONE THIS YET: remove injectors and clean

So my questions are:
1. am I missing anything?
2. If an injector was plugged why would it run normally for random amounts of time before stalling?
3. best way to clean the injectors?

Thanks in advance.
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2014, 01:23 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Could you have sucked some air in the lines? How low did the fuel get? There's a bleeder screw on the fuel filter housing, crack it while running and see if any air comes out.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old August 16th, 2014, 01:29 AM
El Solis
Chris Solis

I suppose air could have gotten in. I used the lift pump with the bleeder screw on the filter open to get rid of the air. Also cranked it over for awhile with the injector pipe nuts loose. I'll try cranking with the bleeder screw open tomorrow. As for how low I put in 19.5 US gallons. Pretty sure it's only a 20gal tank. It is whatever is standard on a row110
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2014, 01:44 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Solis View Post
I suppose air could have gotten in. I used the lift pump with the bleeder screw on the filter open to get rid of the air. Also cranked it over for awhile with the injector pipe nuts loose. I'll try cranking with the bleeder screw open tomorrow. As for how low I put in 19.5 US gallons. Pretty sure it's only a 20gal tank. It is whatever is standard on a row110
I've had some pain-in-the-arse issues before getting all the air out...it was lumpy, or would run fine and then when I'd throttle up and back off it would bog down and then stall out at times. Bleeding the hell out of it, then a nice long drive sorted it out. Start with the easy stuff before you go throwing money or parts at it.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old August 16th, 2014, 03:43 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
there is a small mesh filter at the end of the fuel pickup line in the tank itself.

if there is any junk in the tank, that will clog up first way before the fuel filter ever does.
Old August 16th, 2014, 06:42 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
I had this happen to me in upstate NY in January... I was driving a vw tdi and I stopped at a truck stop to fill up.

As I was driving away my car started crawling and stalling, limped off the highway. Luckily I knew what the problem was... Bad diesel! More than likely your truck got some watered down diesel fuel (usually there is an acceptable amount of water in any underground fuel storage tank) sometime you show up right after they've done a delivery, sometimes they are running low and you get watery fuel.

I added some isoheat (2x bottles) and topped it off with diesel from another station. Car ran fine after.

I would suggest getting some fuel additive or draining it. I would def consider the fuel based on the scenario you're describing.

Why the hell am I awake
Old August 20th, 2014, 11:47 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

OK update time: drained some diesel, added some water treatment and put back some known good diesel. so far so good but no long drives. Thank you everyone!!
Old August 21st, 2014, 07:54 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
back when I had my truck I used to keep additive in the truck for just such occasions. Its definitely magnified when you run the tank low (usually the remaining fuel in the tank can offset some of the watery fuel). Glad you got your truck fired up
Old August 21st, 2014, 09:23 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

When you drained the sedimenter did an unusually high amount of water come out?

It sounds very much like you were passing air or water through the injectors.
As long as you have good fuel and the tank pickup and fuel lines are not clogged, you should be OK.

Now for the "repetitive broken record" for those of you old enough to remember vinyl, if you install a 12V pump after the sedimenter near the tank, wired to work when the key is switched on, it will provide you with a self bleeding fuel system

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old August 27th, 2014, 10:25 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

And I'm back. To answer the last questions: I did not really notice a lot of water out of the sedimenter.

I have replaced a total of 12 gallons of good diesel and went for a drive today, still had stalling issues. engine just stops while cruising along and then will restart with a little blip of the throttle or pushing in the clutch. no problems with power, engine temps, EGTs, etc. everything is perfect except this little issue. happens at all revs/gears etc. I have just done the timing belt (but drove 800 miles including off roading without issues).

So, thoughts? Lift pump? clogged injectors? something else?

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Old August 28th, 2014, 05:24 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

Bumpity bump
Old August 29th, 2014, 12:18 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
there is a small mesh filter at the end of the fuel pickup line in the tank itself.

if there is any junk in the tank, that will clog up first way before the fuel filter ever does.
Several times I have seen where people had previously pulled the sending unit from the tank, and resealed it with RTV. The fuel/vapors degrade the RTV, it falls in the tank, and under very low fuel conditions, gets sucked into this screen- or worse, someone has removed the screen and it gets sucked through the line. Worse yet, I once saw where someone removed the screen, then replaced it, making for lots of fun. The whole line was filled with little silicone "snakes" all the way to the filter.
Old August 30th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I would have said water in the fuel. I had a similar experience @ night in a rural area after all the stations had closed. In the mountains. I barely made it up a few hills. I stopped and drained water off a half dozen times. Took me an hour to go 25 miles. It gradually got better and I finally made it to a place that sold a product called HEET for diesel fuel and that helped but in the end I had to burn that tank through to get rid of the problem completely.
My tank didn't have a bottom drain or I would have dumped the tank.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 30th, 2014, 11:07 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

Crown you are just telling me ghost stories to scare me (it worked).

Doug, I have used the redline version of the heet for diesel as that is what the local shop carries. I have a feeling i just need to keep driving and adding good diesel. The hard part is not wanting to go on too far of a drive in case it just stops. Although the other day that happened, wouldn't start so i used the lift pump and i was back in business. I guess i just need to keep driving and draining.
Old August 30th, 2014, 11:25 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Several times I have seen where people had previously pulled the sending unit from the tank, and resealed it with RTV. The fuel/vapors degrade the RTV, it falls in the tank, and under very low fuel conditions, gets sucked into this screen- or worse, someone has removed the screen and it gets sucked through the line. Worse yet, I once saw where someone removed the screen, then replaced it, making for lots of fun. The whole line was filled with little silicone "snakes" all the way to the filter.
screen ? Most of the diesel defender fuel sender/pick up tubes I have pulled have no screen on the end of the tube

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 31st, 2014, 12:00 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
This actually makes a lot if sense, can't have suction if you're sucking atmosphere
Old September 8th, 2014, 11:13 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis

OK so new updates…I had another couple of episodes where the car just stopped. Dash light came on and power steering went out. This has happened 3 times and wouldn't restart. the other times it was a sudden loss of throttle/power with immediate return (either blip of the throttle or clutch in/out). When it just stops I have primed the lifter pump, air came out of the fuel filter and the last time no fuel out of the injectors (cracked open) on turn over. I opened the banjo bolt on the FIP from the fuel filter (Thanks to Shayne for the call a friend) and as soon as it was opened it was like it was pressurized as diesel sprayed everywhere like it was under pressure. So after this she fired up life was good. get home and decide I need to take this on actively (not just pour stuff in the tank). So as I am checking the wire for the stop solenoid i realize that it is in horrible condition. exposed frayed/cut wires at the female connector and when I touched the connector it fell off the wire. So I have redone the connector and drove today for 30 minutes without any issues. I'm not claiming victory yet but hopefully this was the issue and it is now fixed.
Old September 8th, 2014, 11:16 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Lucas... It had to be Lucas.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 19th, 2014, 12:35 AM
El Solis
Chris Solis

Ok to close this chapter of awesomeness, 3 hours of driving, no stalling, i'm gonna say it was the wire to the stop solenoid. Thanks everyone!!

Oh and we added to the stable
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411101294.844788.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	103186

I'm sure she will bring me the same joy as my 110 in time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
advice