Yet Another overheating thread - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 7th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Defender90_218
Trenton Smith
1997 D90

Yet Another overheating thread

Has anyone experienced overheating at highway speeds that returns to normal by slowing to city speeds/sitting. It seems backward from most of the other overheating threads I can find.

Heres what I've done so far to no avail.

Rad. Flush
New hoses
New water pump
New thermostat

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 7th, 2010, 08:04 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

your radiator is crap.
Old August 7th, 2010, 04:42 PM
jhhorse
joe heins
1995 defender 90

I would say check your sender and gauge, make sure they are working properly. My D-90 runs hotter at highway speeds, or when climbing a long hill, etc, The gauge looks like it is getting ready to overheat, but after checking the actual temp of the engine, hottest it gets is about 210 degrees F, I think this is fairly normal temp and my gauge just reads high. I have checked the rad, no hot spots, coolant comong out of rad is about 35 degrees cooler than going in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 7th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Defender90_218
Trenton Smith
1997 D90

It's actually over heating, its boiled over a couple of times when I couldn't stop in time
Old August 7th, 2010, 07:40 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
When my truck did this it turned out to be a radiator cap with a bad gasket. New cap cured everything.
Old August 9th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Could be the cap, clogged radiator, stuck thermostat, head gaskets, porous block, slipped cylinder. You can rule out the last three with a block tester (about $60 from Napa). Personally, I would start by checking the cap, then thermostat then the block test. From there, I would pull the radiator and have it checked out (or get an IR thermometer and check it yourself) and/or get the fluid block test from NAPA and check that. The most expensive part of this procedure is the radiator check mainly due to the time/inconvenience of pulling the radiator which is not hard, just not fun.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender, overheating, radiator, thermostat, water pump