Yet another Hardtop question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 15th, 2004, 02:23 AM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Yet another Hardtop question

I appoligize for posting another question about fiberglass hardtops, but I have a specific question which was not clearly answered in previous threads: how much stress will a fiberglass top take before breaking? I have read many posts about the f.g. top vs. a badger soft top, and I am thinking a f.g. top might be the way to go. But not having seen one in person I just wonder how flimsy/crappy they really are (anyone in the raleigh/chapel hill area have a f.g. top?)? How much abuse will they take? I think someone posted a while back about how a f.g. is not suited to off roading because they are prone to breakage; is there a story or anything behind that statement?

Thanks everyone. It looks like my BesTop is on the way out...
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2004, 12:04 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Ok, my top fell apart after 8 months of owning it. I bought it brand new from the dealer, so I wasn't the second owner or anything. How strong they are???? Not strong. I laid my truck on a tree and it killed the top piece, and the side panels. Plus the stress cracks that I got from the body flexing which made my top not useable anymore. I think it's good for city use only, plus only plan on removing the top once a year, multiple times will cause it to crack. Always make sure you have someone to help you remove and install it, don't do it by yourself.
I personally tried every top out there, from FB, to SW top, to half cap ST, plus my Bestop. I found that ST plus the drop curtain is the best was around. If you have the $$ get the badger, or if you want to save a $1000 get the Rover's north top. Badger makes it but it doesn’t have the rain gutter kit.
Old August 15th, 2004, 12:30 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Thanks Yousef, thats what i was looking for!
-Mike

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
hardtop