Yay, new skid-plate time.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 27th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yay, new skid-plate time....

Well, the skid plate under the fuel tank has finally said "Hey, I'm rusted out and falling apart". So, a new one is on the way from SlickRock thanks to you guys suggestions.

So I'm looking for some advice on how best to go about this. I'm going to get me some PBlaster, soak it down for days before the swap, but I'd like to pick up some new hardware ahead of time as well. Anybody know which bolts I'm going to need?

And also, any good tips for the actual removal process?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2007, 01:59 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

PB Blaster, PB Blaster, PB Blaster, and then some more PB Blaster

Start now and keep spraying all of the bolts

Use as much gas as you can from the tank before you start the job, that stuff is heavy

Might also want to have a drill on hand, new bolts and a proper size tap.
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Hans - I cut and pasted this from an old message that I had written on this board. This was the experience that my shop had with my gas tank skid plate! Good luck!

Flagg

-------------------------

I just had my gas tank skid plate replaced. My rover shop said it was really shot - and holds some of the wieght of the gas tank. I went with the new Rovers North heavy galv. unit. I know everyone will scream at me for not going stainless - but the repair dollars keep adding up, and I figure the galv. will last a very long time. I had to save money somewhere.

Anyway - it ended up being a bigger job then planned. All the bolts were rusted and had to be drilled out..........and many of the connections for the new bolts were gone. They had to find points to weld new attachment points. Because welding was involved they had to remove the gas tank......

I hope yours in not that bad - but I wanted to forwarn you in case, so you will have heard of it. Also, make sure you go in with a near empty gas tank. When they remove the skid plate they have to support the gas tank........at 6 lbs +/- for a gallon of gas - having a full tank or a 1/4 tank makes a big difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2007, 02:56 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

May be a good time to replace the fuel pump - depending on how many miles you got on it. Better yet, cut an access panel for it.
Old February 27th, 2007, 03:27 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Go slowly when removing the bolts. After the PB soaking I loosened then tightened the bolt I was working on over and over backing it out a little more each time so I wouldn't snap it. Worked on all but one bolt. Ratchet straps under the tank are your friend. A floor jack helped keep the plate from falling on my head.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old February 27th, 2007, 04:32 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
I have replaced a few and I use a rachet stap between the tank and the skidplate to hold the tank in place when the plate comes off.

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

Old February 27th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

I did mine last year and I cound not believe the condition of the skid plate. It's not as bad as some that I have seen here in some other posts. Like Tyler said, just go back and forth and keep the PB Blaster going. I soaked mine every monring for a week before I even got started. I ended up breaking one bolt which was a pain the in ass, but considering how difficult it was to get all of them out I am suprised that I only broke one. I put some anitseize on all of the bolts once I installed the new plate. I wedged a 2x4 between the axle and the lip of the gas tank to hold it up while replacing the plate. Worked out pretty good.
Good luck

Old February 27th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

LOL I think mine is going to be on the "That's pretty bad" pile once it comes out. It looks pretty fully destroyed already, and is starting to collapse. When I was on the phone today, I even recalled using the phrase "whichever version you can ship quicker".

One specific thing I'm curious about is how much of a pain in the butt the anti-sway bar is. Do you have to remove it totally? Or do you just need to do the bolts going through the skid plate, and move it out of the way?

-Hans

Old February 27th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

you will ony have to remove the bolts on the skid plate. the sway bar will swing down out of the way. i replaced the bolts while i was replacing the skid plate.

Old February 28th, 2007, 07:11 AM
vesparover
brian bertolini

Be careful lowering your tank- When I did the lines were corroded and snapped at the fuel pump. Sucked.
Brian Bertolini
Old February 28th, 2007, 09:12 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

First clean the area around the tank with a presure washer.

Mine had so much sand and mud that the PB did not penatrate at first,
then PB Blaster, PB Blaster, PB Blaster, and then some more PB Blaster

as Tyler said
"After the PB soaking I loosened then tightened the bolt I was working on over and over backing it out a little more each time so I wouldn't snap it"

I used SS bolts and dumped the rear sway bar

My tank was almost empty and I supported the tank with 2 long screwdrivers thru the sides of the tank.

Good luck and take your time
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:24 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

You're still running your sways? Why did I think they were gone.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old March 8th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Well, wasn't anywhere near as bad as I had feared. Only two snapped bolts, the high ones all the way in the back. Oh wait, and two more that are part of the swaybar brackets, but those I can grind the nuts off any I'll be fine. What a massive improvement the Slickrock plate is, and dear god was the original one in bad condition.

I should be all finished up tomorrow, horray!

-Hans

Old March 9th, 2007, 12:32 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Old March 9th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

I wonder what his sliders look like?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions