Yakima or Thule roof rack for a canoe - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 22nd, 2008, 05:06 PM
fenwaystan
Christopher Giles
1997 D-90

Yakima or Thule roof rack for a canoe

All--

I appreciate any insight. I have searched the forum and gotten bits and pieces of advice.

Does anyone have any experience with a Yakima or Thule roof rack affixed to the roll bars (or otherwise) on a naked and topless D90 ST? Perhaps people have found clever and professional ways to affix some of the standard tower pieces, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2008, 05:56 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
I used the Yakima mounts for the Xterra roof rack. Mounted two on each side of the roll cage above the doors and then could use all my Yakima rack components including my packasport box. The only complaint I had was the front of the box stuck out front, I just stuck a Land Rover sticker there and called it good. It was on a 95 ST. I liked how it didn't interfere with the top- either the soft top or the fiberglass one.

Alex
Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:15 PM
abraded
Shams Helminski
'71 IIa Hybridized

I have a set of the those Yakima X-towers that I'd be willing to sell if your decide to go that route. I only have the towers, to complete the rack you would need crossbars. If you wanted to run with the top on, you would probably have to get a set of the tower height extenders as well. Either way it's not that expensive to do. The towers are ~$100 for a set of four new, I think you'd want 66" crossbars and those are ~$60-70 for two.

I just pulled the rollcage on my 90 recently and have put a euro hard top on. No need for the towers anymore.

PM or email me if your interested. I can send pics along.

--Shams Helminski
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2008, 03:03 PM
abraded
Shams Helminski
'71 IIa Hybridized

Here is a pic of the towers I have. Hopefully this helps make the attachement process more clear.

--Shams
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yakima Towers.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	11818  
Old January 23rd, 2008, 05:51 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I might be interested sent you a PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, rack, roof, roof rack, yakima