XM Radio antenna install Location - Where? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 6th, 2004, 12:18 AM
COSteve
Steven Reed
93 Defender 110 - #107

XM Radio antenna install Location - Where?

As I run my truck over miles of wash board road in the summer, I am been saving my pennies for a XM radio in lieu of the CD skipping. Finally got the OK from the better half and had it installed. On of the things I ran into was where to put the small flat XM antenna. The crew at CarToys here in CO came up with the perfect location.... Under the Left Wing Vent! It sits on its own metal bracket (needed for reception) the vent is not obstructed, and it is completely out of the way with no wires exposed. Just wanted to pass it along as it is working great!Cheers! COSteve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 6th, 2004, 11:17 AM
januconn92
Jan Jurgielewicz
97 D90 #1477 Green ST

Sat. Radio

Personally, Sirius is my choice, NFL, NBA and better music, but opions are like .....

Anyway, I'm building a metal bracket to mount on the brakelight bracket, then use the magnetic antenna...

Either way, Sat Radio is truly amazing.....
Old April 6th, 2004, 11:51 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I completely did away with the little antenna and went to one of the larger ones and mounted it to the rear door. After having it there now for a year, the only change I would make is to mount it on the right side of the tire. Its easy to forget that its not strong enough to use as a handle to close or open the door and being where I have it now I catch myself reaching for it.
Attached Images

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 6th, 2004, 02:55 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

How well can you hear it with your STs? Are you driving with headphones or are the Badger tops that good at keeping out the road noises?
Old April 6th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Ken the type of radio signal or even a CD will not make that big of an impact on how well you hear it as much as better speakers and a good amplifier. Although CVC's XM sounds good!
Old April 6th, 2004, 03:03 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

add a 300w amp, jbl front speakers and bose rears with volume WAY up on highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old April 6th, 2004, 03:15 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

front speakers in the door or elsewhere? I saw someone at MAR two years ago with 2" tweeters in the dash, just outboard of the windshield defrost vents. I was wondering if that works well on the road.

CVC, with that big stereo, do I also need to get hyd lifts, neon lights and fuzzy dice?
Old April 6th, 2004, 03:25 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Replaced the front speakers with the marine JBLs. You will need to get a set of bling spinners though.

Quote:
[/size]
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:12 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

I thought I knew what you were talking about until I did the google search on 'bling spinners'. Do you think they make these for Buck's 37s?

http://www.rcmodels.com/pro602600.html
Spinning…to rotate or to cause to rotate swiftly. And that’s exactly what Pro-Line’s new 40 Series Spinner will do when you install it with your 40 Series Pro-Line wheels.

The 40 Series Spinners represent the latest craze in wheel add-on styling. While on the move, the spinners rotate slowly making it seem like your monster truck is at a stand still as it screams by you. On the other hand, while you’re screaming down the road and you come to a stop, the spinners spin at a super high rate making it seem as though you’re moving at high speed.

The 40 Series Spinners adapt to Pro-Line 40 Series Velocity 6 and Mambo wheels with ease. Two ball bearings allow the spinners to rotate separately from the wheel. 6061 aluminum is used to enhance the performance of the spinner. Each spinner is hand polished and machined by the latest tooling technology.

When you’re looking to spin your way down the street or at a stop, check out the latest wheel accessory technology—the 40 Series Spinners from Pro-Line.

Features:

· Stopped on the move, spinning while stopped · Made from 6061 aluminum · A gleaming polished finish · Full ball bearing equipped for unmatched smoothness · Kit includes 2 faces, 3 adapters (2 right-hand-thread, 1 left-hand-thread), 4 ball bearings, and 2 screws

oops, maybe this is an example of thread hijacking... Sorry Steve. I'll google 'bling satellite antennas' next time
Attached Images

Old April 6th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Art Vigil
Arthur Vigil
None

Some things are just wrong.... spinners
'95 RRC - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'72 Series III 88" NADA Turner 2.25 petrol (Lovely Rita)
'95 RRC Brooklands/TWR Edition 3.9V8
'97 D90SW NAS #2426 - 3.9V8 Rimmer Supercharged!
'95 D90ST NAS#2620 - Original owner
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

They have their place. They aer after all ghetto rich.....

EwS
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:58 PM
COSteve
Steven Reed
93 Defender 110 - #107

Hijacked maybe..... but the banter is well worth it!
Old April 6th, 2004, 09:47 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Hey Ken we were listining to my XM at the camp site Sat night. I've got the stock speakers and hear them fine with and without the top. Only have to remember to turn it down after I get off the interstate. I mounted the antenna on one of the light tabs on the cage. Low profile mag mount off of my pickup.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 6th, 2004, 10:59 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Same here Tyler. Mounted on the Light tab. Works fine. I had some reception problems with it mounted on the rear of the 90. Steven, any chance of getting a pic of your mount?
Old April 6th, 2004, 11:01 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

We bought the XM "boom box" for camping. Pop the head unit in and you are jamming by the campfire.

Quote:
[/size]
Old April 7th, 2004, 12:30 PM
COSteve
Steven Reed
93 Defender 110 - #107

Installed Pic of XM under left Wing Vent

They also did a great job on the JL Audio Amp under my bench seat with enclusure and cooling fan. Will post if anyone is interested....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn1444.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	488  
Old April 7th, 2004, 07:53 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

So, the antenna isn't even on the surface? It's able to get the signal from under the wing vent through the plastic? Also, I'd heard it had to be "Line of Sight"...doesn't the cab affect signal at certain angles that low?

And, yes, I'd like to see a pic of that amp posted here.

Thanks! Such a help, everyone.
Old April 7th, 2004, 10:48 PM
COSteve
Steven Reed
93 Defender 110 - #107

Thumbs up XM Reception and Amp Picture

The XM antenna top is right below the plastic of the wing vent cover. CarToys cut the ridges down that are on the bottom side of the wing cover to get the antenna as high as possible. They also mounted the metal "L" bracket that the antenna sits on with its magnets. I have not run into reception problems at all, all driving directions are good (Hyphoticially- driving north would pose the most interferece of the body of the truck).
The JL Audio 300/4 Amp is under the enclosure that they fabricated, under the bench seat. As it tumbles with the seat, it gives up miminal cargo space. Fan is there to keep it cool. Now if I can just get the truck to stop marking its territory on the garage floor!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn1450.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	493  
Old April 8th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Where did you install the XM unit. Could you take a picture?

Thanks
Old April 8th, 2004, 01:02 PM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Steve, That's very interesting on the antenna mounting. I never would have thought that you'd not suffer signal reception degradation from the body panels.
Back to the speaker question, what did you install to go with that massive amp? (Besides the bling spinners, of course)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
radio