Xenon lights on D90, ghetto fab or kinda cool? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 4th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Question Xenon lights on D90, ghetto fab or kinda cool?

So check this out, last weekend my neighbors kid asked me if I could help him figure out the wiring on this made in China Xenon light upgrade kit he was putting on his 89 Nissan 240 ricer, I said sure and I figured it out for him. He paid 200 for his because it replaces the entire light pods on each side and comes with 2 xenon bulbs, ballasts and wiring/hardware. I tested one of the lights on 12 volts and they are kinda cool, you can hear the ballast hum as it turns on and the xenon bulbs take a few seconds to get bright, reminds me of my LR3 headlights only these don't check themselves on startup (too bad thats cool too). So the next day, hehe, I head on to downtown LA to the car stereo district (central & 11th street) and I pick up a set for 7" round headlights. These are universal and basically fit any car that accepts round headlights, the difference between these and the conventional lights is that with these you can swap bulbs, in my case from the halogen bulb it comes with to these bright white xenon bulbs with ballasts. They also have a magnified lens in the middle that focuses the xenons beam straight ahead. So heres the kit, both 7" round lamps (came with halogens already inside) 2 ballasts, xenon bulbs and all the wiring/hardware for only 90 bucks. I'm thinking about installing this weekend along with the ARB harness I bought that were always raving about here. So whatcha ghetto bastids think?

They sorta look like these but in bright white xenon.

http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=500&uid=2288673707

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2011, 02:44 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Very nice. Install only one side and take a pic. We promise not to call you a Limey Ricer wanna-be.

on a another note. Why do you need the harness the draw on HID lights is quite a bit less than a regular bulb..
Old January 4th, 2011, 02:45 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

No point to the ARB harness with xenons as they draw way less amps. I am not sure what you bought, but if you run xenons in a halogen shell, you will blind everyone.

Ron

------ Follow up post added January 4th, 2011 02:46 PM ------

jinx on amp draw
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
No point to the ARB harness with xenons as they draw way less amps. I am not sure what you bought, but if you run xenons in a halogen shell, you will blind everyone.

Ron

------ Follow up post added January 4th, 2011 02:46 PM ------

jinx on amp draw

He said these housings are designed to accept xenon bulbs as well as halogen, this is why they sell it all in a kit. Said he sold thousands and hardly ever have problems. I didn't know that HID grabs less juice wow, mabye I'll just hold off on the harness install and just plug right in, I forgot to mention they are pretty much plug and play, although the downside on these bulbs is there is no high beam. On the harness theres only 2 prongs, hot and ground (on a regular halogen bulb connecter, theres 3 prongs, one extra for the high beam. So thats the only bad part but, I have PIAA driving lights on my ARB bumper so I can just use those for high beams, besides these lights are suppost to be bright and mabye I won't really need highbeams and if I do, just flip on the driving lamps. Also you can't legally drive with your high beams on anyway so I would only turn on the driving lamps when nobody is around, they are bright and adjustable. I asked about the legalities and they said its not illegal to have xenons in the power rating that they sell. Not trying to blind anyone but I like more light in front of me, D90 lights suck balls.

Robert Deniro
Old January 4th, 2011, 03:13 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I know this has been covered on many threads but instead of having that Ghetto chinsey look you can keep your glass with the kit below.

I am going to get a set of these when I blow my next set of bulbs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Phili...Q5fAccessories

I will continue to use my Hella H4 lenses with this kit. I also have the ability to lower (adjust) my lenses with a switch inside the truck
Old January 4th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

So with these xenons kits, none of them have highbeams right? Unless I'm missing something....

Robert Deniro
Old January 4th, 2011, 03:26 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Some have high and low. Usually the cheaper ones only have one setting.

Here is the PIAA kit from Canada... (not allowed to be sold in US for vehicles used on roads). Some people have gotten them for "off road use only".....

http://www.piaacanada.com/products/#H4
Old January 4th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Ok I see, I think I'll just stick with plan A, single beam, use the driving lamps as high beams. I'll takes some pics if anyone cares.

Robert Deniro
Old January 4th, 2011, 04:01 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

getto fab and illegal for road use
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Old January 4th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

My LR3 has xenon headlamps, please explain?

Robert Deniro
Old January 4th, 2011, 04:37 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

In some cases they are not legal (when not properly installed). Using HID lamps in glass that is designed for Halogen bulbs is not also recommended (beam pattern issues).

I would like to see where it states in a law book that it is not legal. I have found that if you have properly aimed glass you will not have a problem (you should also match up the reflector to the type of bulb you are using). Many manufactures of the HID kits will state that these are for off road use only to cover their ass. I have not seen a law on the books where it states that you cannont install an HID kit in a vehicle that does not originally have them. There are laws about blinding other drivers though.

I on the other hand will probably install a HID kit in my Piaa 580's (when I get my roof rack on I will have 5 of them). This has been done successfully.

FYI: In Europe if you have HID's you have to have an auto leveling kit to ensure you are not blinding people as your load changes and driving conditions change (up hill, down hill etc..)

Old January 4th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

LOL at vid, they feel the same way about guns. They got a lot of mis-informed pussies running that place.

Robert Deniro
Old January 4th, 2011, 04:57 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_20...cfr571.108.htm

In case you are bored. From the research I have read if you can level them and have the right "cut off" you are legal.

It is the asses that dont know how to aim them (or use the wrong reflector) or use a ghetto color that gives these a bad wrap. 95% of the time if you use common sense you will be legal.
Old January 4th, 2011, 05:41 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

scroll towards the bottom for the piece on HIDs.

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/pasfaqs.htm

This is from the Washington State Patrol website. If i can find it on NHTSA i'll post it.
Old January 4th, 2011, 05:58 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Thanks for the Washington State stuff. I think what they are saying is that you cannot use a H4 lens and a HID kit. I believe what Niel is doing with the HID designed reflectors and an HID kit he would be OK as long as it mets FMVSS108.

After all this reading I think I will just modify my AUX lights to HID and leave my H4 lenses and PIAA bulbs alone...
Old January 4th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Backstay
John Hilton
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Just a reminder for all. I ship the product for www.piaacanada.com and www.piaalights.com. D-90 members get a better price when ordering by phone.
Old January 4th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

You know what I just realized, the inside of the lamps I bought are plastic glossy black, like black glass, they aren't reflective chrome like you see in a normal headlight, I'm pretty sure this is why you can use xenon HID in these lenses. Oh and the pictures I posted are exactly what I bought upon further inspection of the pic. So I think I'm good to go as long as I don't point these higher than where its suppost to be pointing. Hope it looks cool at least, please excuse me while I go put on a NOS sticker on my D90.

Robert Deniro
Old January 4th, 2011, 07:13 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

Interesting. I guess the H4 w/HIDs would be super bright, makes sense.
Old January 4th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstay View Post
Just a reminder for all. I ship the product for www.piaacanada.com and www.piaalights.com. D-90 members get a better price when ordering by phone.

Just for grins, what would these cost??
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:07 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese_D90

Just for grins, what would these cost??
Me too!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, ht, lights