X-Jack -- Yay/Nay? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 9th, 2015, 01:45 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
X-Jack -- Yay/Nay?

So I've tried this thing in the garage with the Series, and although it works well, I can't see using it on solid ground when I've got a bottle jack and probably a high lift as well.

The trouble is getting it to snug up against frame, and not against exhaust bits, or body panels.

I have not tried it on the Disco or Defender. I suppose it would work well on the Disco with the bumpers.

Also, it takes up a lot of room when stored.

So what do you all think of these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2015, 02:25 AM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Great for sand, that's where I've used it the most. Used it once to get a truck that was high centered on a rock on the rear diff un stuck. I got mine for dirt cheap so it worked out ok..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 9th, 2015, 04:03 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Much the same as your thoughts; when I've got solid ground I'd go bottle jack much of the time. I'd use it before going to a high lift since I find it to be a lot safer/more stable once positioned correctly. Bear in mind my application is a Disco so getting good exhaust pressure is pretty easy and between bumpers, sliders, etc I've got a fair amount of points to place it under.

My usual storage spot is strapped down to the roof rack, which also works well.
Click image for larger version

Name:	X jack in action.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	113227
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shakedown roof rack load 12 July.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	113228
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2015, 11:10 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I think it would work awesome when stuck in mud to get a traction mat under your tires without much effort. Have wanted to try it for that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 9th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Another tool in the box situation...options are always good. 15 miles away from help out of radio range you'll be glad to have it.
Old February 9th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I don't recommend it for p38a owners with dual exhaust, but it is a pretty nice piece of kit.
Old February 9th, 2015, 11:24 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

I watched 3 guys struggle with one of those for about a 1/2 hour out in Moab one year. The guy had a flat on his LR3. The jack won't work with dual exhaust. Also won't work with any kind of exhaust tip, like on a Borla. He finally got it to work off someone else's exhaust only to have his LR3 drop the suspension when lifted, LOL.
The dude finally stuck a bottle jack under the control arm and had the tire swapped out in a couple minutes.

IMO the X-jack is a novelty and isn't worth the space it takes up. There are too many situations it WON'T work for me to dedicate space on the truck for it.
Stock bottle jack and a Hi-Lift is really the best of everything.
Old February 9th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Well for sure make sure your equipment works for your set up BEFORE you his the trail...this may not make sense for you.
Old February 9th, 2015, 11:38 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I used one to rescue a sand rail that had lost its wheel out in the desert sand dunes.. Worked great for that... I could see it having many uses other than just lifting the vehicle up when changing a tyre.. It can fit in many places where I simply don't want to be crawling around under there using a bottle jack... Also it lets you jack the truck without having to be near it... A bit safer in my mind in certain situations.. I will say they can be a bit difficult to use correctly as they sometimes want to pop out from underneath if it's on a bit of an angle..it also doubles as a campfire beanbag.... Or as we like to call it in Awwwwsraylia. A poof..
Old February 9th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
I used one to rescue a sand rail that had lost its wheel out in the desert sand dunes.. Worked great for that... I could see it having many uses other than just lifting the vehicle up when changing a tyre.. It can fit in many places where I simply don't want to be crawling around under there using a bottle jack... Also it lets you jack the truck without having to be near it... A bit safer in my mind in certain situations.. I will say they can be a bit difficult to use correctly as they sometimes want to pop out from underneath if it's on a bit of an angle..
And I thought you were going to say campfire beanbag...silly me...
Old February 9th, 2015, 12:43 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Campfire bean bag seals the deal. I'm keeping mine.
Old February 9th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
Campfire bean bag seals the deal. I'm keeping mine.
Shit, didn't think of that. Now I actually need to get one.

Semper Fi!
Old February 9th, 2015, 10:37 PM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
I like mine..have had and carried it for about five years and prob used it 5-6 times. First bought to use on an lr3. It will work great on an lr3 or any other dual exhaust rig with an exhaust plug on the unused pipe. Will also work off of compressed air.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac