X-Deflex alterations to fit a Defender 90 TD5/NAS? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 17th, 2016, 05:59 PM
WestCoastRover
Jeff
2000 TD5

Registry
Red face X-Deflex alterations to fit a Defender 90 TD5/NAS?

I want to purchase the X-Deflex rear anti-sway bar from foundry4x4 . It is designed to fit the 110. The Fuel tank on a NAS 90 and TD5 90 hang much lower and required modification.
I have a 4" lift and 35's on my 2000 TD5 90. What are the modifications/additions I need to do? In 1 year I will remove it and install on my TD5 130 so I don't want to butcher it.

Hope you can help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2016, 06:12 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I wouldn't buy one right now then. What's the motivation and actual need?
Old February 17th, 2016, 06:24 PM
WestCoastRover
Jeff
2000 TD5

Registry
I use the Defender on knarly trails, but also often cruising a lot of mountain highways at 90km/hr as well. Having no sway bar installed with soft shocks and springs can actually be stressful at higher speeds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2016, 06:29 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Have you looked at a used discovery rear sway bar.
Old February 17th, 2016, 06:33 PM
WestCoastRover
Jeff
2000 TD5

Registry
I would imagine I'll need mods on it, plus The X-deflex is 4x stiffer than stock and disconnects for when you hit the trails...
Old February 17th, 2016, 11:00 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

Best mod I did to my 110. Contact Simon the owner/designer of it, he'll be able to help. Pm ing you his info
Old February 18th, 2016, 04:54 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

There is a d90 adapter needed.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 18th, 2016, 01:09 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Jeff, if you put that on the rear, and don't have anything on the front, it's going to handle worse than it already does.

Just think about throwing it into a corner, the rear stays flay and the front outside corner takes a 6" dive... talk about stressful...
Old February 18th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN38 View Post
Jeff, if you put that on the rear, and don't have anything on the front, it's going to handle worse than it already does. Just think about throwing it into a corner, the rear stays flay and the front outside corner takes a 6" dive... talk about stressful...
I disagree. I ran the x-deflex in the rear with a 5" lift on my 110. No front sway bar. Made a HUGE improvement in handling, especially on corners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old February 18th, 2016, 01:17 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Interesting... if you look at any vehicle that comes with 1 swaybar, it's always fro nt.More control to the steering end one the vehicle, which also is prone more to roll more due to additional weight of the engine.
Old February 18th, 2016, 01:19 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN38 View Post
Jeff, if you put that on the rear, and don't have anything on the front, it's going to handle worse than it already does.

Just think about throwing it into a corner, the rear stays flay and the front outside corner takes a 6" dive... talk about stressful...
Sway bars don't work that way. It will, however, increase oversteer. Body roll should be managed. I doubt it will really matter as anyone driving a 90 with a 4" lift on 35s fast enough to be anywhere near the traction limit on pavement will be dead soon enough.

There are problems with the links on these failing with long travel suspension. Something to be aware of.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 18th, 2016, 01:35 PM
WestCoastRover
Jeff
2000 TD5

Registry
I have heard the front sway bars on defenders are factory fairly soft as the suspension design is already fairly stable to start, but the rear is the bigger player and is significantly better if in place and stiffer is better if lifted on pavement.
I talked to Simon that designs the X-Deflex, he said with two simple fabricated brackets it can fit a NAS 90 and TD5 90.
I have also heard of Riggin up a D2 Active Corner Enhancement front sway bar (removing the electric/air portion, and having the valve block on a switch) Very cool.
If anyone else has sway bar options or opinions I loved to hear them. Front or rear. Sources to buy as well. Prefer it as a disconnect, and I'm not sure a lift bracket with the stock bar will be affective enough, maybe ok for the front.
Old February 18th, 2016, 01:36 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
stressful = understeer or oversteer. I suppose it would be better to know which is occurring? With 35's and that lift, I'm sure it's all over the road.

Adding only a rear swaybar will reduce understeer.

"Sway bars don't work that way."? It's lateral tortion. With a 4" lift, and no sway bars, if you are cornering at highway speeds, you better believe that the outside edge of the vehicle will drop (AKA body roll). With only a sway bar on the rear, you will have less body roll, but still more in the front than rear.

Agreed, not a rig you want to be doing highway speeds in on a winding road.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, defender, defender 90, flex, nas, td5