WTF is wrong with my clutch - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:01 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

WTF is wrong with my clutch

It's a 1995 D-90 SW. When driving, the clutch holds fine, there is no slipping, grinding of gears or anything that would indicate a problem. Recently I started to notice that the engagement point was changing on certain gear changes. Initially i figured "well it's a land rover" and that was just yet another "feature" of British engineering. After playing with the clutch. here is what it's doing:

If I hit the clutch under normal pressure and speed, like you would in daily driving, it works fine 90% of the time. I get normal pressure and normal engagement point. If I gently and slowly push the clutch, it goes down to the floor with zero resistance and won't disengage the clutch. If i let it back up and press it normally immediately after, it's fine again.

There is no fluid leak that I can find and there is fluid in the reservoir. The weird thing..If I press it normally and hold it.. it doesn't "bleed down" and eventually reengage the clutch. it will hold pressure fine.

I don't understand.
Advertisement

Old September 3rd, 2013, 10:31 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

So it's a new master cylinder you're thinking?
Old September 3rd, 2013, 12:07 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Where is the bleeder located? I was looking but couldn't find it.
Advertisement

Old September 3rd, 2013, 12:12 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

You need to replace your clutch master and slave cylinders and the hose wouldn't hurt as well.
When you replace one and not the other cylinder, than the old one seems to go shortly thereafter (in most cases).

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old September 3rd, 2013, 01:01 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
You need to replace your clutch master and slave cylinders and the hose wouldn't hurt as well.
When you replace one and not the other cylinder, than the old one seems to go shortly thereafter (in most cases).
Great advice. I grew up with British Leyland hydraulic clutch systems, and replaced the master a week before a vacation in France. Slave failed 100 miles after I got back to England....on a Saturday afternoon, just before the local Halford closed.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 01:54 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yes, replace everything at once, flush and bleed well. Only use OEM cylinders. The aftermarket ones have a very high failure rate.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 03:20 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

The slave cylinder is quite easy to change, unless you snap off the "death clip", to avoid that do not pull the cylinder rod away from bellhousing.
The master cylinder is a little more difficult, mostly because lack of space. If you want to work at your ease remove the wing, I did that last time I changed mine and it made work may be longer but pita free.

Do as said before, use genuine LR parts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch