WTF...is this noise from my rear end - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 14th, 2012, 04:47 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Angry WTF...is this noise from my rear end

110, Salisbury rear axle...trying to nail down this noise. I'm stumped. I pulled apart the other side (passenger) last night thinking it was coming from there, but obviously I was wrong. It really starts to kick in around 0:30...
http://youtu.be/cMbrc9LUu88

To make matters worse, I'm daily-driving the 110 so down-time (especially this coming week) reallllllllly sucks.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2012, 05:07 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Are you running wet hubs (oil) You might try repacking teh wheel bearings.

-Jeff
Not (intentionally) running wet hubs...unless a seal let loose or something. I'll pull it tonight and see how things look, and repack as you mentioned. You thinking it may be running dry and that's the noise?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old September 14th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I'm running wet hubs front and rear with no leaks and my bearings are happy as clams. All you have to do is check the diff to make sure the 90W is clean and full and you'll know your bearings are G2G.

------ Follow up post added September 14th, 2012 05:16 PM ------

Ok, I just listened to that. It sounds nasty, but does NOT sound like bearings at all to me. Way too intermittent. Sounds like it occurs when the power comes off the driveline (when you press clutch in to shift). You still have drum rears? If disk, maybe a mud shield that is running too close to rotor, or maybe your pinion shield?

Def confirm your 90W level, but I think that sounds is external to the axle housing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Totally diesel, and sound beautiful!

FYI, I've had to bang out a couple of my mud shield a couple time over last few months to keep them from scraping , but I converted my rears to disc. if you have rear drums, maybe they need adjusting (drums suck!)

------ Follow up post added September 14th, 2012 05:20 PM ------

If you do think it's a bearing, jack each wheel up and check for lateral play. If you have a bearing getting ready to seize, you would see play in it, and you would hear a mild grinding when you spin the wheel up on the jack.
Old September 14th, 2012, 05:24 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Oh it's diesel baby! I've actually been loving driving the 110 daily. Sold the wifes' Audi allroad, I gave her the LR3, and I took over the 110 (well, float between that and the 90...but the 90 being a ST and trail rig is way to primitive to drive every day with the miles I'm doing lately). I'm pushing 25+ mpg lately...and I love every mile of it!

So on that video that was all in 1st gear and I didn't clutch in at all....just rev'd up (I wanted to leave the shifting out of it since that seemed unrelated to anything).

Rears have been converted to discs, I was just under there and didn't notice the dust shields at all interfering but I'll check it out now and report back.

I'll also pull the dip on the rear end too (running that ARB Sals cover with the magnetic dipstick) to make sure there's plenty of 90W juice in there.

I lubed all the U-joints 2 oil changes ago, and generally lube them every 2-3 oild changes (every 6-8K). Probably should do them every oil change, but I'm just too lazy. BUT...I did wonder if maybe it was a bad U-joint, though they all seemed ok last time I was under there.

Stay tuned...
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old September 14th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Oh it's diesel baby! I've actually been loving driving the 110 daily. Sold the wifes' Audi allroad, I gave her the LR3, and I took over the 110 (well, float between that and the 90...but the 90 being a ST and trail rig is way to primitive to drive every day with the miles I'm doing lately). I'm pushing 25+ mpg lately...and I love every mile of it!

So on that video that was all in 1st gear and I didn't clutch in at all....just rev'd up (I wanted to leave the shifting out of it since that seemed unrelated to anything).

Rears have been converted to discs, I was just under there and didn't notice the dust shields at all interfering but I'll check it out now and report back.

I'll also pull the dip on the rear end too (running that ARB Sals cover with the magnetic dipstick) to make sure there's plenty of 90W juice in there.

I lubed all the U-joints 2 oil changes ago, and generally lube them every 2-3 oild changes (every 6-8K). Probably should do them every oil change, but I'm just too lazy. BUT...I did wonder if maybe it was a bad U-joint, though they all seemed ok last time I was under there.

Stay tuned...
nope, bad u-joints = clunk sounds, driveline vibration you can feel in your pants, and play when you try to turn it with your hands. I've never heard that sound with u-joints or bearing. if you didn't use the clutch then I'm wondering now if your clutch is slipping (aka worn out and needing replacement). do you feel like it's not grabbing completely?

BTW, you can look at a mud shield and not know it's rubbing, but you would hear it up on the jack spinning. that's where the rubber mallet comes in and does the job right.
Old September 14th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Interesting. It sounds like something is getting caught in the discs, but if they look good then dunno. Real weird sound though. It sounds like something is being caught or catching and kind of grinding. I've never heard anything like that before that happens with the accelerator off an on. I'm interested in what the outcome is!
Old September 14th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Good point peter, it could also be as simple as a piece of gravel caught in the disc.
Old September 14th, 2012, 05:36 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
if you didn't use the clutch then I'm wondering now if your clutch is slipping (aka worn out and needing replacement). do you feel like it's not grabbing completely?
I was just letting it idle down in 1st gear, didn't even go near the clutch. When I do use it, it does feel like it's grabbing ok. So...are you saying you think the noise may be clutch related even though I wasn't on the clutch in the vid?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old September 14th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I would check driveline and brakes thoroughly first. I'm just thinking next step after that. What I'm saying is that when you do not have the clutch pedal depressed, then the clutch plat is fully compressed against the flywheel for max friction. A worn clutch pad might slip when fullly compressed because of that wear, which means it'll slip when you don't have the pedal depressed. I'm just pontificating what else it could be.

------ Follow up post added September 14th, 2012 05:41 PM ------

A floor jack, 2 jack stands and a pair of gloves is all you need to rule the driveline in or out.
Old September 14th, 2012, 05:47 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
And.....that may be the most amount of play I've ever seen in a wheel bearing! Crazy...not sure how I missed it, but that's the culprit! I didn't even need to take the wheel off.

Heading to Napa! Fwiw, part number BR37 at Napa is the bearing (same for inner & outer).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old September 14th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Glad you caught it! Ill bet that noise was the rotor rubbing the mud shield from the bearing play! Glad you caught it before it seized on sline! now go wet!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old September 14th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Makes sense that under acceleration it sits in place and then when you are out of the gas it slips out? So was it just catching the rotor on something? Was that the noise from catching or is it just the bearing making that noise?
Old September 14th, 2012, 06:25 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer View Post
Makes sense that under acceleration it sits in place and then when you are out of the gas it slips out? So was it just catching the rotor on something? Was that the noise from catching or is it just the bearing making that noise?
I *think* it was just the bearing making the noise, but I'll play around before digging into it. Trying to track down the BR37's from Napa, then probably heading to Huff's for a wrenching session! (he's got a nice tool for doing the race, plus I was thinking of heading out there to work on the 90 anyhow).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old September 14th, 2012, 06:28 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
WTF...is this noise from my rear end
Mexican food?
Old September 15th, 2012, 06:42 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

While you are in there you should set your rear hubs up to run wet. The Sals drive flanges last much longer that way. Seem to see a lot of the newer dry style with damaged drive flanges. Hardly ever (if ever) seen them on the wet style. Just a thought.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old September 15th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Wow.....Makes me wonder about a similar but worse scraping noise on my DD that popped up suddenly then disappeared.....I thought it was something caught in the dust shield....maybe not

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
rear end