Wrong Drive Flanges - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 12th, 2016, 11:41 AM
98 HOO
Josh Smith
1960 Series 2a/D90 Hybrid

Registry
Wrong Drive Flanges

I got some spare rear 10-spline shafts for my hybrid (on old RRC axles) from a board member. I didn't realize that they didn't have the drive flanges - my current half shafts are 1-piece. In any case, I got some new drive flanges, but now looking at pictures on-line, it appears that the flanges are likely for the front - thinner than the normal rear flanges.... Is it ok to run these? I have the shims/c-clips, but it looks like the shaft would slide out away from the differential. I don't guess it could slide out any further than it would with the thicker flanges though. These would only be installed if I snapped one on a trail - and just enough to get home.

I know I should upgrade to 24 spline, but the truck had fresh 10-spline Tru-Tracs installed when I bought it. I don't plan on doing anything crazy with it for a while, so I want to give the 10-splines a shot...

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160409_121014063[1].jpg
Views:	38
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	147033  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2016, 11:50 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Your picture shows what appears to be a 24 spline halfshaft in a flange.

Your post text talks about 10 spline rear. I'm confused.
Old April 12th, 2016, 12:01 PM
98 HOO
Josh Smith
1960 Series 2a/D90 Hybrid

Registry
The differential side of the shaft has 10-splines - The wheel side 24. I will look into the thicker flanges. Looking at them though - they just hold the shaft out further away from the differential - I think the thin would work fine though as a temporary - the shaft may just stick out of the end of the flange. I could probably just shim to make up the difference. Thanks for the photo/part number.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2016, 12:04 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Gotcha thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions