Wow... this sucks - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 18th, 2004, 02:07 PM
mattwhite
Matt White
94 D-90

Wow... this sucks

Three months ago I put a brand spanking new transmission(R380) in my 90, and a new transfer case as well.

Well, Friday after returning home from the woods, were I wasnít doing any wheeling only sheet shooting, I went to put the 90 in reverse and I couldn't get it in reverse. It would only go into 4th and even then it felt really loose and sloppy. Anyway I shook the shifter hard, after doing that I lost all the gears.

Basically I can go through all the gears (except reverse), but it will not engage them. It seems like the linkage is loose and the tranny is stuck in neutral.

I took out the shifters and the linkage to them was tight and the driveshaft doesnít spin so itís not a broken axle.

What could come loose inside the tranny? Shift fork?

Fawking A

Thanks Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2004, 07:08 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Wow..That does suck....If you can, take the tranny apart and im sure something will fall out or you will def. see something that doesn't look right....That probably doesn't help much just trying to get my post count up....

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old October 18th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Matt,
If you can take the transmission tunnel out and get the shifter housing off, you will probably find that the grub screw (5mm allen) that holds the shift quadrant onto the shift rod has come loose.
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 19th, 2004, 12:14 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsiderob
Matt,
If you can take the transmission tunnel out and get the shifter housing off, you will probably find that the grub screw (5mm allen) that holds the shift quadrant onto the shift rod has come loose.
Rob

Yep. Probably left over from the installer swapping housing to the new transmission. It was prolly left loose or overlooked.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old October 19th, 2004, 11:45 AM
mattwhite
Matt White
94 D-90

Thanks guys but I already did that and the screw was tight. I'm going to drain the fluid and see what falls out.

Matt
Old October 19th, 2004, 12:26 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

It has to be in the shift linkeage.

Old October 20th, 2004, 02:27 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

Didn't ECR do the work for you? For as much as you probably paid, I'd call them.
Old October 20th, 2004, 07:26 PM
mattwhite
Matt White
94 D-90

ECR only did the engine, the tranmission I got from atlantic british over the summer. It looks like they are going to replace it.
Old October 20th, 2004, 09:25 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have heard ashcroft is having some QC issues . . . is it one of theirs?
Old October 21st, 2004, 12:56 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Matt,
Is AB going to replace the trans or will you have to have it repaired?
Rob
Old October 21st, 2004, 12:42 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I still think it is an installer problem. If you investigate it a little further it may save you a lot of time in the long run. Have you had the entire shift quadrant off of the top of the transmission? Rebuilds come without the shift quadrant fitted. Anyway good luck with this and sorry to hear of your problems.

JP
Dassler coulod straighten it out for you if it is internal. Have the supplier Pro Rate you some money back and put them in touch with him when he repairs it.

Old October 21st, 2004, 09:54 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Matt,
If it's an internal problem and AB wants to have it repaired as opposed to replacing the unit, I can do the repairs. How far torn down do you have it? Do you have the entire shifter housing off that you can look inside of the transmission and see 5th gear? I have a pretty strong suspicion that the U shaped shift quadrant that is attached to the shift rod inside the transmission was misaligned when the grub screw was tightened and it is now loose. The grub screws are loctited in place so it may appear tight but the quadrant may be loose on the shaft. That's about the only way to lose all of the gears. If a shift fork went out you would only lose 2 gears.
Cheers, Rob
Old October 22nd, 2004, 02:44 PM
mattwhite
Matt White
94 D-90

Rob,

It sounds like Ab is going to replace the whole transmisssion, which is fine by me if I can't fix the one I have now. I have only removed the shifters and got down to that first grub screw where it first connects to the rod. It really dose feel like that rod is loose.

How do I get to the point where I can see 5th gear? The transmission is still in the rover.

Thanks,
Matt
Old October 22nd, 2004, 11:39 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Matt,
You may be able to fix this without taking the transmission out. If you remove all of the internal mats you will see that the transmission tunnel is fiberglass and held in place with many screws. If you can get the tunnel out, which may also necessitate removing the floorboards, you will have access. Once at this point, remove the 4 bolts and any remaining linkage holding the shifter housing to the extension case (the aluminum half of the transmission). It will be stuck down with gasket sealant and there are 2 dowel pins. Once the bolts are out, you can gently pry with a screwdriver between the cast iron transmission case and the bottom of the shifter housing to break the seal. The rod that you can see on top of the shifter runs inside and connects to a cast piece with a couple of rollers that will slot into the U shaped shift quadrant inside the transmission. I believe that you will find the U shaped shift quadrant to be loose on the internal shift rod. I would heat the grub screw with a propane torch and remove it with a 5mm allen, align the quadrant with the hole in the rod and resecure it with blue loctite on the grub screw. The grub screws will strip out very easily...make sure to heat it before attempting to remove it...this will melt the loctite. Reassembly is the reverse of removal. It is really obvious how the rollers slot into the quadrant. Clean the gasket surfaces before reassembly and don't drop anything in the transmission. If I had a digital camera I'd take some pictures, as I dismantled several R380s this week.
Alternatively, you can remove the transmission to do this, but it's a lot more work. If the transmission has to come out, who is responsible for the labor?
If I can be of further assistance, let me know.
Cheers, Rob

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions