WOW, New cats. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 26th, 2005, 03:30 PM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

WOW, New cats.

I have a question about parts. I seem to be having some trouble with ordering things. I have ordered cats (y pipe) waste of money, a sensor (sent me the wrong thing), Safari gard rock sliders (did not include the pipe brace), truetrac (came perfect), Arb winch bumper (turn signal lights were missing), three gauges of which two were the wrong ones.

My question: Is there a vendor that doesnt screw up???? One that has most of the things? Or is it just trial and error? I seem to be having a lot of errors.

Also I finally placed the exhaust on my. New Y pipe not worth the 500.00. It did not even fit and was supposed to bolt right on. The guy had to do mods to it so it would fit correctly. Wow what a differance. That with a flowmaster 3 chamber plus larger pipes all the way back. Lots more horses. Sounds great as well. He lifted my exhaust up an inch or two higher then it was before as well.

Anyway, any thoughts on the vendor thing?

Thanks again,
Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2005, 05:33 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

larry-who have you been using?
Old February 26th, 2005, 08:52 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

I have had the same problems from time to time. But, I must say that some vendors are really worth their salt ( ie: Expedition Exchange, Rovers Down South, and others). I think that if people were to post their bad experiences with certain vendors, then these vendors may pay more attention to what they are sending out of their shop when they have their name associated with poor service. Start calling these guys on their mistakes. It costs us $$$ every time they send the wrong item or screw up an order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2005, 05:54 PM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

I think of the 15 items I have purchased since November 3-5 have arrived with everything or the correct part. The rest have been missing parts of this or that.

Safari gard for the sliders. Once I called them I got the part within 24 hours after they returned my call. Took 3-4 days for them to return the call.

Northeast Bristish, Rovers North, and Atlantic British for the others.

I am just wondering if people have the same experiance. Maybe its just my shitty luck this year. Thanks for the imput.

Larry
Old February 27th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I had rovers-north ship me a package with the wrong shipping method. I paid for overnight, they shipped ground. They did refund me the difference, but MAN was that expensive for shipping. $30 for overnight on 2 gaskets? $10 for ground? I used to run an internet store of my own, I know what shipping runs. They have about 50-100% markup going on their shipping prices.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 27th, 2005, 06:21 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

No kidding on the shipping for RN, terribly over-charged.

A couple of years ago I ordered the aluminum Atlantic British steering guard for my 90. It's the one piece unit with the three hole mounting plates on each end. Pretty beefy, about a 40lb wedge.

The thing arrived and soon I realized it was different from what I'd seen before and in their catalog. The mounting plates on the sides had been modified by someone and one of the mounting holes had been trimmed off. The actual metal had been trimmed to remove the piece containing the third mounting hole. So it would not work for me, I call AB and the guy on the phone just laughed. He said someone must have returned that guard after hacking it up and they never caught it before returning it to inventory. Then he tells me I am on the hook for return shipping, but they would credit my account. I wrapped the thing in a yard waste plastic trash bag and taped the address to it and tossed it to the UPS guy at my office....

I ended up getting a full credit once I bitched enough, took my money and bought a southdown guard, no problems from RN.
Old February 27th, 2005, 06:26 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

I ordered oil cooler lines from AB and they sent them without the fittings necessary for installation. RN sent me a defective ignition rotor which ended up costing me $$ because it took the mechanic a couple hrs of troubleshooting to figure out that the brand new part was the problem. When I was replacing my upper parking lights to a clear lens RN sent me the wrong part twice. I gave up and called RDS. Had the right part in 2 days.

I'm not complaining, just sharing my experiences. I understand these things happen. The vendors I've never had a problem ordering from are EE, RDS, DAP, BWO.

FWIW.
Old February 27th, 2005, 08:08 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

So far i have not had any problems from Rovers North. We have probably ordered 10-15 things from there in that last few months and have not had any problems yet. Atlantic British tried to sell us a Brush Guard that didn't fit and we caught them on it before we paid for it.

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old February 28th, 2005, 08:33 AM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Another AB story... I was recently searching for LR 130 wheels and finally decided to just save money and time and buy a set of the NATO/Wolf rims. I called AB first, their webpage featured a special on 5 rims. They guy on the phone tried to convince me these wheels won't fit on a NAS D90. The backspacing was off, or the lug pattern was off, he insisted. There are no steel wheels other than the Disco spare steel wheel that fits the 90 pattern. Whatever.

I called RN and they gave me a great deal on a set, and I had them that same week. $25 shipping too, which is not bad considering they sent 3 big boxes and each wheel weighs 37 lbs.

You would think, and I expect my parts supplier to know at least as much as I do about the parts I ask for.

I too have had great service and results with DAP, EE and RDS.
Old February 28th, 2005, 09:23 AM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

That is funny Ron that AB said that the wolf wheels wouldnt fit, I ordered a set from them and they never mentioned anything. There must have been a spiff to get rid of the disco steel wheels that week.
Old February 28th, 2005, 07:31 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Maybe it was more of a spliff than a spiff.
Old February 28th, 2005, 07:46 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
maybe both??
Old February 28th, 2005, 09:00 PM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

how does rovers north charge so much they don't even have their own boxes and they use shredded newspaper for packing materials? Not that I have a problem with that but shouldn't they be passing the savings on to the customer?
Old March 1st, 2005, 02:36 AM
yellowrover
Mike Holland
'97 AA Yellow D-90 ST

Rovers North

Maybe you guys have had more experiences with RN, but I've had a few with them and they've been fine. I also got a top from them and since its winter up here, they had me go over to their garage and helped me put the top on.
Old March 1st, 2005, 07:12 PM
ripp2002
L C
94 Defender 90

Ok so maybe I am not the only one that has had problems. That does make me feel better. Although you would think they would do a better job. Ill think ill try Rovers down south. They seem to be the over all favorite. Shit do not think I need much more now with all the crap I have bought.

Larry
Old March 1st, 2005, 11:03 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Problems:
1. Expedition Exchange Never bothered to call me back 4 time. I called them until I got someone, then hyperspace. Only reason I tried was thier reputation. To me, F grade. I posted this on this site thinking they might notice. We are into months now...
2. British Atlantic: OK but NEVER ask a question via their web site. NEVER replied to me.
3. Rovers North: Telephone help (3x) was rude & not helpful. Great cataloge but I am not that experienced and I read so many problems.

In all these cases I ended up going to generic auto supply shops or not getting an item. Also, Ebay has been a blessing. I will say, and not from personal experience just reading that RDS seems to be the most highly touted supplied on this forum.

My take, based on my experience is that most aftermarket Defender or Land Rover suppliers in the US are poorly managed with poor customer interface (even though they all talk about how highly rated thier staffs are).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions