Would you re-thread hub stud? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 3rd, 2016, 02:12 PM
lmwong
Lincoln Wong
Defender 110

Registry
Would you re-thread hub stud?

I have one stud on a hub where one of the threads is off just enough to not allow a nut to thread on it. I realized this when I was replacing the wheel lug nuts and the new nut would not go on without messing up it's own threads. The bolt that was originally on there goes on and off just fine.

So, without replacing the hub assembly, is it okay to re-thread the stud with a die so that a new bolt can be used?

This is what I have, a Gyros 92-91615 Metric Carbon Steel Hex Rethreading Die, 16mm x 1.50 Pitch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2016, 12:28 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I would rethread. Probably won't take much to clean it up and replacing is a pain.
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2016, 01:13 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Is it just a thread at the end that is keeping it from getti started or is the whole length messed up? Or threads closer to the mating surface

If it was just the first thread on the end I would rethread if you want, but anything that is where the nut will actually have tension on it when tightened up I would replace

Granted you could probably drive a truck with just two studs for a very long time, being how thick the studs are on these trucks, it's one of those things where if there's doubt, throw it out. Kinda like brake lines and such.

Replacing a stud is a 30-40 min job at most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
5 lugs/studs is just overkill.

I know a guy who knows a guy who made it home from a trip with just 2 or 3 per wheel

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old July 4th, 2016, 02:26 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I would try to clean up the thread with a triangle file. If that works run it till you do the brakes and then install a new stud.
Old July 4th, 2016, 02:54 PM
lmwong
Lincoln Wong
Defender 110

Registry
Thanks all. The threads start messing up in the middle. I will try to rethread and if I mess it up, I'll replace the stud. Good to know I can do that.
Old July 14th, 2016, 08:55 AM
lmwong
Lincoln Wong
Defender 110

Registry
Update on this. Did it. Worked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions