Would you drill a hole in the side of your 90? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 11th, 2009, 09:46 PM
tebby
Justin Tebbenkamp
95 D-90 ST

Would you drill a hole in the side of your 90?

So I'm getting ready to mount some lights on the roll cage. I'm thinking about running the wiring within the cage...drilling a hole underneath the cage mount on the drivers side fender...and through the grommet in the bulkhead. Has anybody done this? Bad idea? I'd just rather have the wires hidden!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2009, 09:50 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'd sooner pull the front cage, drill a small hole in the cage support, run the wires through that, up the center of the cage, and out a little hole drilled in the cage near the light tabs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 11th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I'd sooner pull the front cage, drill a small hole in the cage support, run the wires through that, up the center of the cage, and out a little hole drilled in the cage near the light tabs.
dido...

that way you will not be kick'n yourself a year later when the mod lost it's luster...

My thoughts are I never alter any on my D that can't be undone...but that's just me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2009, 10:06 PM
tebby
Justin Tebbenkamp
95 D-90 ST

by underneath the cage mount..I meant to pull the front cage and drill where it bolts to the body
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:11 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Oh, then go ahead! The the mount is quite thick, but you won't need a very big hole. I think it will be fine, surprised no one has posted pix of it before. Post some when you do it, let us know how it comes out.

Old November 12th, 2009, 08:42 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Couldn't you drill holes for the wires at the base of the tabs and then combind the wires into one hand have that run out the little hole at the top corner of the cage by the windshield then down the inside of the a pillar behind the trim piece?
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old November 12th, 2009, 08:52 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Scariest thing I ever did was cut out the hole for the snorkle on my 110. Second scariest thing I did was learn how easy it is to do...
Old November 12th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
This is precisely what I did on my 110. It wasn't too difficult. I'm not sure about the 90 cage, but on the 110 I had to drill one near each light tab (actually the PO had already done this) then I drilled one at each corner where the A-pillar tube meets the header tube so that the wires could pass between the two. Then I had to drill one in the foot of each A-pillar tube and in the "under fender support bracket" on the vehicle. From there it was easy to run the wires where I needed them. You really need to run the wires with the cage off and leave slack. As you install it you can pull the wires through some more.

Make sure to touch up the bare steel where you drill. I drilled mine before sending the cage to powder coat, but at the very least I would make sure there is some touch-up paint on the bare metal so your cage doesn't start rusting.
Old November 12th, 2009, 07:42 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Personally, I don't think the cage needs any help..., meaning, I wouldn't drill any holes in that thing.. ever.
I know it does provide a super clean install to do so, and I really dislike shoddy wiring,.. however, I still would not and do not drill holes in the cage( besides, my boss would have my as_ if I did so.) Just my .02.
Old November 12th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I considered that, but I figured the only hole I would be adding that could potentially weaken it would be the one at the top of the A-pillar bar, but I figured it was small enough that it wouldn't be likely to make a huge difference in the tube's strength. That being said, I am constantly surprised at how little it takes to drastically alter the strength of a piece of metal.
Old November 16th, 2009, 12:13 PM
DonFromWhitby
Don Andrews
'94 NAS D90 #CDN-80, 2011 LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebby
So I'm getting ready to mount some lights on the roll cage. I'm thinking about running the wiring within the cage...drilling a hole underneath the cage mount on the drivers side fender...and through the grommet in the bulkhead. Has anybody done this? Bad idea? I'd just rather have the wires hidden!!!
I have lights on my windshield cage - wires are run internally all the way through the bar and into the left side of the truck - no holes in the body.

It's definitely do-able, so don't drill anything in the body if you can avoid it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0176_2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	23012  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags