would you buy a '97 d-90 with 60k & no service rcd - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 16th, 2003, 04:36 PM
tomken
thomas j. kennedy, jr.

would you buy a '97 d-90 with 60k & no service rcd

1997 d-90 with no service records. What would be the
proper deduction for this? 60k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2003, 04:39 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I wouldnt buy a D-90 without a service record. my .02$
Old November 16th, 2003, 05:49 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Sure I would, and did. I had it thoroughly checked over first and it had no problems except minor electrical ones. At that point I was quite familiar with D90 issues and knew what to look for. All else was left up to the mechanic.

Mine had 70K and is running just fine with just an O2 sensor change and 10K miles on it. The electrical problems are still mostly there but they're minor nuisances and will eventually be dealt with.

I mean, it wouldn't be a LR if there weren't an ongoing problem or two, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 16th, 2003, 06:12 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

I would and did. Mine had 55k on it. Run a CarFAX or Experian report on it, and it'll show where it was registered. I did that, and then called the local dealerships where it was registered to get any information.

Turns out mine was in Anchorage, all over Washington and Park City. All the dealers were extremely helpful and told me over the phone what service (if any) had been performed. The only exception was Land Rover Anchorage; somebody must have p*ssed in his wheaties that morning...

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old November 16th, 2003, 07:36 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

You could always take the VIN to a dealership and see what they turn up along with a CarFax report.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old November 16th, 2003, 10:15 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

I did pretty much what the others did...got the CarFax, got the service records, and called the dealership where it'd been serviced. The service manager said he couldn't "go on record" as he could be liable if the car was bad...but he did share his thoughts on the QT.

One last thing...I took it to a dealership closeby, and had them look it over. I would have to say they were on the very agressive side of things in their recommendations. I know they're there to make money and such, but their "critical" recommendations have thus far proved to be a little further off in the distance. You'll want to know what to expect...but don't be scared off by the dealership. Maybe take it by a rover expert rather than the dealership. You might get a more realistic set of suggestions.
Old November 17th, 2003, 10:59 AM
milli
Michael D. Milliken
9590SW

I think I spent $600 at the dealer to have them tell me it was missing the spare tire. It was good for peace of mind and I was fortunate enough to get a well maintained 90 with 69K.
I mentioned that I would like to have the dealer look over the truck before I bought it as we were meeting in Portland. The PO basicly said he "didn't feel like it and the truck was 25K". I gave him 24. It took 15minutes. Best move ever.
Old November 17th, 2003, 06:07 PM
OCD90
Torrence
1997 Hardtop

My dealership pointed out every damn thing...most of which was marginally needed (or not at all)...but I'd rather have them err on that side than tell me it was all okay.
Old November 17th, 2003, 08:01 PM
Neo
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585

I bought mine actually DOA. Inspected fairly thoroughly the best I could without it able to run. Was able to surmise there was something awry in the fuel system (electrically).Got a steal on it, expecitng to have drivetrain issues. PO inidcated it had not run in over 9 months. A few hours with some basic T/Sing equipment and it was running like a top. The only real concern was the transmission T/C shaft wear, so pulled that to find the spines in as new condition (suffix E, not F). Had a few othe issues like the starter the PO burned up, but $12.00 at the rebuild shop and it was spinning again. So far, very pleased with it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, 97, cd, d-90, service