Defender Source Forum banner

Would this leak on the oil filter housing cause all this?

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  kmagnuss 
#1 ·
New to me 86' 110 2.5NA... going through everything and changed the oil, fuel, air filters tonight. Looks like the oil filter housing has a leak at the block... maybe? Do you think that is the cause of all this oil? It's hard to tell from the pic but this is the highest point of the leak and it goes from caked on nastiness to clean (with oil on it) there.

On a side note, it looks like my oil pressure sending unit wire is cut. Do these things even have a need for the sensor? I don't have a light on for it, but it could be a burned out bulb of course.

Thanks.

Mag

Oh ps... is the air intake for the filter supposed to be pointed right at the exhaust manifold? Seemed weird to me so I stuck it in the corner next to the headlight.

See less See more
#2 ·
My oil leak pattern looks surprisingly like that, but it originates from the fuel pump to block 'seal'. I only have ~4k on the rebuild and the leak is minor enough where I live with it, but snugging up the fasteners helped a bit. I'd try that.

As far as the oil pressure light does it light prior to building pressure? Yes you need one and a gauge and light are better.

#4 ·
When something is that negrlected/filthy I usually use a putty knife to scrape the thick nastiness off and then
this product to clean it back to bare metal.
Post the amazon link only to illustrate the product. I pay 3.70 something a can for the stuff.
11 Bucks a can is absurd.

https://www.amazon.com/Berkebile-Oil-B101-Instant-Cutter/dp/B000CII6JM

#5 ·
is the pressure sensor tight? the way the oil starts from that point.

#6 ·
Update:
Had a few loose bolts up there... especially the bolts that hold the fuel pump primer on to the engine. Replaced the pressure switch and the wire going to it(the oil light works now). Scraped off a lot of the goo. Pressure washed it with a steam pressure washer (topside of engine only... I had no idea the valve cover was aluminum! Lol).

So far... knock on wood... the leaks seem to be gone. We'll see what it's like in a few days.

Thanks guys.

-Mag

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.