Would cranked terrafirma front & rear trailing arms make a huge difference? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 18th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Question Would cranked terrafirma front & rear trailing arms make a huge difference?

Right now I'm running OME HD springs up in front for the ARB bar and winch and medium or soft duty springs in the rear. I have all original LR rubber bushings and front and rear trailing arms. Thanks to some audio equiptment and a subwoofers in the back, the back end sits a bit off to the left. So I'm thinking of throwing on a pair of OME heavy duty rear springs along with some new shocks. Would it be a good idea just to throw on Terrafirma trailing arms front and rear along with new OME polybushings? (already bought the bushings, not the trailing arms). Trying to see if its worth doing. I do no wheeling and so far I can't tell of any problems with the bushings other than they are old and the 2 inch OME springs do kinda make the big trailing arm bushings not sit totally flat. Any help is appreciated. thanks.

Neil

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2011, 02:14 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
What are you trying to accomplish? Please dont buy terrafirma, get some rear links from Keith! Best to use genuine bushings IMO, otoh they will do nothing to level your truck. If its leaning get a fatter girlfriend or try some of the disco II spring donuts to level it.

This is a first, my Defender needs HD springs for stereo equipment.
Old August 18th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
What are you trying to accomplish? Please dont buy terrafirma, get some rear links from Keith! Best to use genuine bushings IMO, otoh they will do nothing to level your truck. If its leaning get a fatter girlfriend or try some of the disco II spring donuts to level it.

This is a first, my Defender needs HD springs for stereo equipment.
Yeah haha. Well its a 15 inch sub with a huge box. It's heavy. As far as what I'm trying to accomplish, i'd like to stiffen up its road manners. I don't do any offroading but I like the shiny look of the terrafirma arms. No fat chicks please.

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2011, 03:49 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

"I don't do any offroading" that might be a first too.
Old August 18th, 2011, 04:17 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
fat chicks need love too. I think some of the terra firma is made in asia, rovertracks built in colorado! Doug Walker on this site was running some HD sway bars, maybe from Equipe? maybe I am crazy but it seems like my Defender handles really welleven without a rear sway bar and the OME suspension. it corners surprisingly well considering. I mean it could be as easy as more air in your tires? I think the defender has a pretty stiff ride.
Old August 18th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
No fat chicks please.
I think more along your lines is to get two girlfriends, one sitting on the other.
Old August 18th, 2011, 05:16 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Quote:
fat chicks need love too.
I saw a widow sticker in a lifted XJ the other day "LIFT YOUR TRUCK...FAT CHICKS CAN'T JUMP"

Keith makes some bomber stuff, you will not be disapointed. You could get some chrome rattle can paint if you need some LA Bling
Old August 18th, 2011, 08:29 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Cranked arms are ONLY to relieve bushing bind, they'll add some articulation but not much. If you're not currently going through bushings at an alarming rate then you don't need them.

If you want to level left/right then as mentioned the packer rings are the way to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:35 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh View Post
Cranked arms are ONLY to relieve bushing bind, they'll add some articulation but not much. If you're not currently going through bushings at an alarming rate then you don't need them.

If you want to level left/right then as mentioned the packer rings are the way to go.
I general....not really, as the OP mentioned front arms which are also generally used to correct caster to compensate for lift. The addition of some length of the rear arms (at least the version that I make and I'm pretty sure that Revor does the same) also help to keep standard geometry , and as you mentioned the *cranked* part helps with bushing bind.

I do share your opinion that in this case they are not needed, and as specified by the OP the Terrafirma brand arms would really only look the *part*.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old August 19th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Awesome, I guess I'll keep em stock and just throw on some OME polys. The only real reason I wanted the new arms was then I wouldn't have to press out the old bushing from the old arms, just put the new ones right in with the poly bushings. It's cool. Thanks everyone.

Robert Deniro
Old August 19th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
I will challenge as to quality of TF or other arms

I have had:

Equipe ( Stupid Ridiculous price )
TF nothing to envy to the above, much better price
Those 2 rear links are nothing to trust

QT better price, and much beefier

RTE, ugly, bad finish and nothing better than QT for the same price
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Other than being made in China by 10 year olds, there is nothing wrong with most of the Terrafirma stuff. I have the front cranked arms, shock towers, rear shock mounts, shocks, and a few other doodads and they have held up well over two years of abuse.

Semper Fi!
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:26 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Yeah. Chinese parts can go on out to the scrap trailer. Plenty of high quality accessories being built here by "members" on this board. I'd rather my truck rust into the ground than put Asian parts on it.
Old August 19th, 2011, 09:02 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Quote:
Yeah. Chinese parts can go on out to the scrap trailer. Plenty of high quality accessories being built here by "members" on this board. I'd rather my truck rust into the ground than put Asian parts on it.
I see a lot of rust in your future
Old August 19th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

The stock rear arms are hollow. If you decide to wheel it is real easy to bend the stock ones. Other than that, a 2" lift doesn't dictate the need for the clocked arms. When you did the OME stuff did you get the Left and Right springs? If so it might be the cause for the lean. Did you check the lean with the driver in the truck?
Old August 20th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

The leans caused by the speaker box. I put the springs on the right way, when I take the box out its fine.

Robert Deniro
Old August 20th, 2011, 03:17 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Why not just ditch the ghetto sled sound system?
Old August 20th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Why not just ditch the ghetto sled sound system?
classic

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old August 20th, 2011, 05:34 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

When i fitted cfranked arms to my 110 and 90, i got about an extra inch (at least) of "droop" on full axle travel. no other mods done at that time.

I put this down to the lack of stress on the arm-chassis bush.

with droppped damper top mounts and relocation cones, you can get a little bit of extra axle travel, with no adverse changes to tarmac handling.
Old August 20th, 2011, 08:03 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Neil, from what I am hearing you just need to go to autozone or wherever and get some of those rubber blocks you can stuff in the springs on that side to lengthen them. I'd usually say this was stupid, but your'e not wheeling it and LA ain't DC so no worries.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions