Working Load Limits - Straps and Shackles - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 13th, 2007, 02:35 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Working Load Limits - Straps and Shackles

I'm looking to get some basic recovery equipment and am confused by the various strength ratings of the key components: shackles and straps. I have found some fairly inexpensive 3/4" d-shackles with a WLL of 14,000 lbs. I don't know whether to get a 3" wide recovery strap with a tensile strength of 27,000 lbs and a breaking stength of 21,600 lbs or a 2" strap with tensile of 18,000 and breaking of 14,400.

If the old adage "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link" is true and the d-shackle WLL is 14,000 lbs, is there any reason to get the stronger 3" strap? Am I correct in equating the working load limit of the shackle to the tensile or braking strength of the strap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2007, 02:59 PM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
Hi Gary,

The working load limit is normally 6 times less then the actualy breaking strength. Th 3/4 inch shackle I use for winching is rated 9500 lb working load, and 57,000 lbs ultimate yield. The working laod has the 6 to 1 safety factor built in for lifting (hoisting) applications where regulations have high safty requirements.

From personal experience, I would use the 3 inch strap with a 4500 lb rig. A hard snatch pull on a 2 inch will snap it in two.
Old June 13th, 2007, 03:50 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

get a kinetic strap,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac