Woodruf Key - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 15th, 2007, 02:42 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Woodruf Key

I need to put a woodruf key in my new rp4 cam. I want to know if it's ok to use the one from the old cam or if I need to break the bank and buy a new $4 one. Is there a special way of putting them in? Do they need to be pressed? I know it's an oil passage and is important. Lastly can anyone tell me how to properly align the cam,crank and distributor? I have no idea how to do this. Thanks
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

You can easily remove the old key with a small ahmmer and drift or small screw driver. I used a small deadblow hammer and a drift. I just tapped mine into the RPI cam I was using. Are you going with the cloyes dual roller timing chain ? If so don't make the mistake I did and use the HP/advance key way. Use the stock or retard/torque position.
Old October 15th, 2007, 11:32 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Head Gasket removal

Appreciate the response, however I don't know the difference btw. the two..

On a side note.. I want to avoid starting a thread about it but I took my old steel head gasket off and some of it is bonded to the block, some to the heads etc. I wanna ask what methods I can employ to safely remove what's left of the gasket without damaging the metal surfaces. Currently the only method that's been effective is a wire brush on an angle grinder yet a worry about scoring. Do I need to have the surface completely rid of the previous gasket or just "the worst of it" off. Thanks..
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Robbie Donaldson
Robbie Donaldson
1995 Discovery

if you can get the woodruff key out, reuse it. i believe the manual gives the actual dimensions of how far in it should be pressed. should be able to push it in by hand, or possibly use a soft headed dead blow. my key did not come out of my stock came though. even took it to my machine shop and they had no luck removing it. had to spring for a new one.

are you using the stock timing set or a new double roller? either way, you just need to align the correct marks on the cam and crank gear. very important. don't get close, be precise. once installed, set the #1 piston to tdc. easy enough to do with heads off if you can't read your crank pulley anymore. when everything is back together make sure your rotor is pointing to #1 wire and drop the dizzy back in. fire it up. if it doesn't start up, you are probably on the exhaust stroke and just need to pull the dizzy and turn it 180 degrees and you will be on the correct stroke to start.
Old October 16th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

Not to highjack but saw your truck @ MAR Robbie, and loved how you cut the top off the disco and the body cappings etc you fabricated- very nice work.
Old October 16th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Robbie Donaldson
Robbie Donaldson
1995 Discovery

thanks Doug. would love to take credit for the fab work, but that was done by these guys: http://www.ironpigoffroad.com/
only thing i did was cut the top off
Old October 18th, 2007, 03:41 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Stupid question but on those composit head gaskets, which side is down? There are no markings on the gasket. Does the side with metal on it face the block or the head?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions