Wooble/vibration w/ wheel spacers. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 20th, 2012, 01:12 PM
slatelacy
Slate Lacy
94 ST

Wooble/vibration w/ wheel spacers.

Has anyone noticed increased wooble/vibration after installing wheel spacers? I am running them on a 94 ST with Bfg ATs 265/75s. It happens at weird speeds (45 or so). Not to bad at hwy speeds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Geobloke
Guy
1992 90 200TDI

Sometimes when one of the front wheels hits a pothole i get a harmonic bounce wobble where it feels like the wheel is steering the vehicle. settles down after a few metres. It is very odd. Gets worse the more worn the track rod ends are.
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatelacy View Post
Has anyone noticed increased wooble/vibration after installing wheel spacers? I am running them on a 94 ST with Bfg ATs 265/75s. It happens at weird speeds (45 or so). Not to bad at hwy speeds.
I recently had wobble problems, in the end after hours of reseach and trouble shooting it came down to simple tire balance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Most spacers are not hub centric so you need to make sure you tighten them in a star pattern evenly when putting them on. The same goes for the wheels when you put them on. I have heard may tales of the same issue you are having. Many are running spacers with great success while others are having nothing but vibration problems. It is easy to determine if it is the spacer or the tire itself. If the vibration is in the steering wheel most likely it is the front tires/wheels or spacers. If you feel the vibration in your seat it is most probably in the rear. Take the spacers off one axle and if the vibration goes away it is the front spacer/spacers or how it was installed. If you play with it enough you can isolate the specific wheel combo and fix it.
Old February 20th, 2012, 08:53 PM
slatelacy
Slate Lacy
94 ST

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'm thinking about going to boost wheels with 285's, so I might just nix the spacers all together.
Old February 20th, 2012, 09:13 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Good idea
Old February 20th, 2012, 11:57 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
I used to run 265s and didn't need spacers. Isn't that a stock NAS configuration? Why would you need spacers?

If you run 285s, you will need spacers up front to keep them from rubbing your radius arms although some run them without and let them rub.

I'm pretty sure Boost wheels have same offset as stock alloys so you'll be in the same situation.
Old February 21st, 2012, 01:14 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

spacers

Gary, not sure I understand rubbing the radius arms when you can adjust the turning radius with the two bolts on each side.

In regards to running spacers, I have them on and did notice a little wobble so I checked and reset the tire pressure - good to go no more vibrations. I did also use red loc tite when I installed them and had the tires balanced. I am running the 255/85/16s on stock rims. Love the set up. I have run both the 265 AT and 285 AT without the spacers. I just prefer the taller 255s especially the Cooper Discoverers.
Old February 21st, 2012, 09:03 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
[QUOTE="CDeWan"]Gary, not sure I understand rubbing the radius arms when you can adjust the turning radius with the two bolts on each side./QUOTE]

I guess you could do that but wouldn't that affect turning radius? I didn't want to loose that. When I was looking into bigger tires, I decided 285s were my best option. Spacers were recommended from what I found here in the forum.
Old February 21st, 2012, 09:20 AM
Geobloke
Guy
1992 90 200TDI

Spacers...

I use spacers on my 2002 110 because the rear springs are Mahoosive and the tyres rup the top spring mounts at full articulation. This is especially so if you fit aftermarket suspensions kits, like I have, with more flex, with Boost alloys. They are not as offset as the steel LR rims and aftermarket Mangels, so rub more.

On a D90 with Boost alloys you should not require spacers, but they do make the truck look more meaty with a stout stance.

Folks say they wear the wheel bearings out quicker when fitted, but I have been running with them for many years and not had any wheel bearing related problems.

They do improve your steering lock superbly, especially if you drive a 110 or 130 as standard they have the turning circle of a large oil tanker.

If you fit spacers make sure the hub flange nuts are aligned as flush as possible with the flange as if a corner of a bolt is sticking out your Boost alloys will not fit on, yes the fit can be that snug.

As the man said earlier the spacers with the hub-centric flange is the best to choose as they centre the wheels properly on the spacer. Spacers used to come without the flange, my first pair did not have them, but I have not seen any flange-less ones recently.
Old February 21st, 2012, 09:30 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
ToodCo and Terrafirma have hub centric spacers but they ain't cheap:

http://lucky8llc.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=2293

http://lucky8llc.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=2341

But might solve an issue or give piece of mind.
Old February 21st, 2012, 09:38 AM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
ToodCo and Terrafirma have hub centric spacers but they ain't cheap:

http://lucky8llc.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=2293

http://lucky8llc.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=2341

But might solve an issue or give piece of mind.
I just got a set of the Terrafirma's from Justin at Lucky 8 and I must say I am impressed, they are quality
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:06 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1996d1 View Post
I just got a set of the Terrafirma's from Justin at Lucky 8 and I must say I am impressed, they are quality
Good to hear - what wheel did you use them with?
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:48 AM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

I'm running hub-centric spacers currently on my 110 and the standard spacers on my old truck - with LR alloy wheels on both. With the hub-centric, take a look at the inside of your wheel. As Guy states, the flange nuts need to be aligned so they don't hit the wheel. You will see marks on the wheel if they are off. I also recommend coating the area with anti-seize. The wheels need to go on easily without resistance or binding - they are a tight fit.

Not so much on the Defenders, but on my Disco, my ATs cupped from not rotating often enough. You may want to rotate your tires to see if that helps.

Mark
Old April 29th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Rosproline157
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90

Registry
Who sells the best bang for your buck 30mm spacer?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, wheel, wheel spacer