Won't Turn Over - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 21st, 2016, 04:16 PM
RAKinsler
Robert Kinsler
1986 Defender 110 RHD Diesel

Won't Turn Over

Soooo, trying to go to the Happy hour and of course today is the day the rig wont turn over.

Sounded like there was no juice to turn over the starter but the lights are bright, the radio strong, so it doesn't seem like that is it (at least from my other dead batteries).

This has happened once before and after a couple hours (including about 30 minutes of trying to jump it with no luck) the rig turned over randomly.

Any ideas of what I need to wiggle, jiggly or otherwise plead with? Kinda frustrated right now.
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2016, 04:19 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAKinsler View Post
Soooo, trying to go to the Happy hour and of course today is the day the rig wont turn over.

Sounded like there was no juice to turn over the starter but the lights are bright, the radio strong, so it doesn't seem like that is it (at least from my other dead batteries).

This has happened once before and after a couple hours (including about 30 minutes of trying to jump it with no luck) the rig turned over randomly.

Any ideas of what I need to wiggle, jiggly or otherwise plead with? Kinda frustrated right now.
It could still be the battery. I have had batteries die suddenly like that. Literally never a problem, to completely dead.

You can try giving the starter a hit with a hammer too

If you have a volt meter check voltage between positive and negative. Also check voltage at the hot lead on the starter. >= 12.6v If there is no juice there, check on the starter solenoid. If that is good check the ground by probing negative terminal to starter body.

You hear a click?
Old July 21st, 2016, 04:25 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 95 RRC

If you have a test light put it on the little spade on the starter, turn the key and see if the test light lights up. If it does the starter is bad, you can roll start it or try hitting it with a hammer...
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2016, 05:09 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
If you have a test light put it on the little spade on the starter, turn the key and see if the test light lights up. If it does the starter is bad, you can roll start it or try hitting it with a hammer...
Brian mean hit "it" the starter with a hammer, not the windshield, we know it is frustraiting.

We still have a few of the 3.1 KW starters that will spin the engine like a sewing machine and they also fit the TDI engines if/when you upgrade

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old July 21st, 2016, 05:31 PM
deanclean
Ryan Stevens
1995 Defender 300tdi

This happened to me on an old mini truck I had. It would start fine most times then just randomly not. Turned out i just needed to add some copper washers to the battery terminals. I don't know a ton about cars but I guess this just helped make better contacts. Its something easy you could try anyway.
Old July 21st, 2016, 07:03 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
possible ignition switch failure?
Old July 21st, 2016, 07:17 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 95 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosz View Post
possible ignition switch failure?
using the test light to the spade on the starter will tell you that, if there isn't a light then it's between ignition switch and spade, if it lights then it's the starter.
Old July 21st, 2016, 11:06 PM
RAKinsler
Robert Kinsler
1986 Defender 110 RHD Diesel

Welp, I guess I learned that in a diesel that needs good cranking you can still have enough juice to run the lights full bore, and radio without weakness but not have enough to turn over the engine.

Replaced the battery and all is right with the world. Bummer it caused me to miss the NOVA Rover HH tonight though

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions