Won't Start After CB Install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 7th, 2008, 05:47 PM
floyd650
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716

Won't Start After CB Install

I installed a CB today and now my 94 ST won't start. For the CB install I tapped into power from the 1st auxillary position of the fuse box (for the dome light, etc). I tucked a portion of the CB (Cobra 75) behind the panel that covers the EFI computer in the passenger's foot foot well. Everything went really well except when I tapped into the wire for the auxillary fuse, it sparked and blew the fuse. I replaced the fuse, and tidied up my wires. The CB works, as do all the other obvious electronics. The fuses inside as well as under the hood all look fine, but the truck simply will not start. I checked all my wires and unplugged/replugged the EFI computer. It turns over and over and over, but does not start. The diagnostic code display reads 02, which I believe means that power has been interrupted to the computer and the car has not been started since. I am stumped.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Are you getting spark?

When you turn the key from off to on, but not trying to start it, do you hear the fuel pump running?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 7th, 2008, 07:05 PM
floyd650
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716

At the risk of sounding as lame as I no doubt am, what does the fuel pump sound like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2008, 07:24 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

You should hear a click (fuel pump relay) from the passenger side and a humming sound from the back. If you're not sure you're hearing it or not, to be really sure, lay underneath the gas tank and have someone turn the key to the II position (IIRC), the position just before it turns over, and you should hear something in your tank go "hummmmmmmm", then turn off (priming your fuel system).

An no, you're not lame. Think positive and you'll be back on the road soon.
Old December 7th, 2008, 08:31 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I had this same type of thing happen to me... As I was installing some wiring, a couple of the fuses were loose, I pushed them all back in and the truck fired up. Worth a try.

Scott

Old December 8th, 2008, 05:16 PM
floyd650
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716

Magic black box...

You were all right. There was no juice going to the fuel pump. I checked the fuel pump fuse a trillion times, and it was fine. But there is a little black box behind and to the left of the main fuse panel with some sort of reset button on it. Pushing the button fixed it...What is that little black box?

Thanks,

Alex
Old December 8th, 2008, 05:31 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Sounds like the inertia fuel switch.
Old December 8th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Yep, that is what it is. I don't know what causes them to trip like that, but it happened to me once too. Reset it and all was good again...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start