won't start - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 27th, 2006, 09:10 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

won't start

The other day I started the defender and let it idle for five minutes because it was -15C. I hopped in, put it in reverse, stalled it, and could not get it going again. It cranks but no start. The fuel pump sounds like it's working because I can hear it prime when I turn the ignition. It is now in a warm garage for the past two days and it still won't start. Gas line freeze up can't be an issue because it's now warm. It's a 1994 NAS D90 with a 3.9 V8. CAN ANYONE HELP ME???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2006, 09:51 PM
jdvega
J. D. Vega
'94 NAS Defender 90

I just had the same thing happen to my '94 D-90 during this last cold snap. I assumed the initial start was good gas in the fuel line. But the cold resulted in condensation inside the tank. I put a bottle of fuel dryer, ISOHEET Premium specifically. It mixes with condensation that collects at the bottlem of tank and makes it combustable. I also cleaned my plugs because I hear that stuff can gunk up. Anyway, it started after the mix made it through the line.

Freelance Photojournalist
Dallas, Texas

I love my Defender, I hate my Defender, I love my Defender, I hate...
Old February 28th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Scroll to the bottom of this post, there is a link called "HELP 94 d90 will not start" Start there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2006, 11:22 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Thanks for the help guys, she's running again.I did the injector trigger wire disconnect to clear the flood. The trigger wire is a thin wire coming from the area of the valve covers. It actually comes out of a section of wire loom that contains other wires for the injectors but lays on top of the drivers side valve cover near the firewall. That was the only thing that gave it away. All the wires hooked up to the coil have heat shrink on them, not rubber boots. Anyway, it worked just like you said. I think I may look into a chip change that alters the fuel mapping so it's not so rich when cold. Some friends mentioned that even when the engine is warm it smells rich.

Thanks again.
Old March 1st, 2006, 12:12 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

There is a cold eprom chip you can get from the dealer that may help out with cold starts. Not sure if it will effect it running rich when warm though. Has the ECU thrown any codes lately?
Old March 1st, 2006, 11:13 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

I am going to guess no because the check engine light has not come on.

Would it also be a good idea to change the oil after this flooding incident? It does smell like there is some gas in there. I just had an oil change done about 100miles ago and used Mobil One. What are the consequences of not changing the oil?
Old March 2nd, 2006, 07:38 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
There is a cold eprom chip you can get from the dealer that may help out with cold starts. Not sure if it will effect it running rich when warm though. Has the ECU thrown any codes lately?
I looked into that cold start PROM a couple of weeks ago, and there are only 2 in the entire US. I decided against pursuing one because both of those dealers didn't really want to part with them.

When it's really cold here, say zero or colder, my truck will always start. Warm restart is where I had the problem, but as long as it's floored, it will always restart. It's now warming up a bit, and I've had no problems.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start