Wont run at temp - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 6th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Neo
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585

Wont run at temp

I did not have a good idea on how to search for this topic, and every thing I tried came back without results, so here goes... On top of that, this is really a disco question for a friend....

I spend the afternoon at a friends house who has a 95 Disco swapping parts from my 95 D-90 trying to figure out what is wrong with the Disco. We never foudn it. What it does is basically die when it reaches temperature. It sounds like it is flooding out to me, and there does seem to be a smell of fuel. The Disco runs great for about 15 minutes when cold, but once it hits temperature it chokes and sputters and finally just dies. If you try to keep it running by feeding it fuel, you can, but it does not produce any power to pull itself. It will onlyu idle for a minute or so before choking out. We swapped damn near everything except the hall effect sensor in the disty and the ECU (since they are different). We tried the Idle Air Solenoid, MAF, TPS, and Coil. He already replaced the ignition module and did the relo kit. New wires, plugs cap, rotor etc. I think we covered the usual suspects, al to no avail. It does not throw any codes and the (st)dealer could nto figure it out either (duh). We also ohmed my temp sensors and his and they were the same. Fuel pressure on the rail is fine. Strange that it runs well till the engine temp is at operational and then just dies. A few weeks back he did the upper end (heads and gaskets, vales etc) as it had overheated, however, it ran great for nearly two weeks then all of the sudden went into this funk. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I also remember seeing folks reference a disco site and googled for it before posting here, but could not find it. I know he is frustrated, so any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Jeff
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Swap the fuel temp and coolant temp sensors for the ECU, they both have 2 wire connectors not like the one for the gauge that has one.
Old November 7th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

How many miles? Possibly worn cam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 7th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Neo
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585

Red face

Thanks guys! I was hoping you would suggest something Mike! Doubt you remember, but you helped me with my tranny/x-fer a few years back. Really appreciate it, we did ohm them and they ohmed out the same, but will try the swap. Doubt it is cam wear, although that is a possibility, but it is very evident when it starts acting up, like a switch. Will try this evening. THanks again!

Jeff
Old November 7th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

lol, you're right I don't remember, what was it that was wrong with the t-case/tranny?

How did you compair the temp sensors? The way i would compair would be to put them in a pot of water then warm the water up and watch that both have the same readings.

Have you pulled the plugs? just looking at them should tell you a bit, as soon as it cuts out the first thing I would do is make sure there is still spark at the plug, sometimes the cap (even new ones) can have a hairline crack that opens when it gets warm and screws everything up.

If you have spark, then most likey you will have fuel as the ECU gets it's signal to tell the injectors to fire from the coil. But that doesn't mean you can't try adjusting the timming to try and get it to run. Mark the position of the Dist, then loosen the bolt a little so you can turn the Dist while the engine is cranking.

Just some things to think of.
IS there any exhaust smoke while cranking? when it is warming up if you florr it a couple times do you get black smoke out the exhaust at all? Have you checked for vaccum leaks? Mine has been running real weird lately, I just found out that I forgot to connect/cover 1 vacume hose port that was not needed due to using mix/match parts.
Old November 7th, 2005, 02:16 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I may be wrong on this but... Have you cleaned the stepper. My truck was doing this a while back... running fine then as soon as she warmed up started sputtering. I tried everything (like you) then one day cleaned the stepper... took the motor and casing out and cleaned both completly. It totally fixed the problem. I have no idea why it worked (frankly I'm confused on the stepper anyway...I hate ECU's) but it worked. just throwing it out there.
Also check for vaccum leakes.
-s
Old November 7th, 2005, 02:38 PM
ne4x4
Ian McCormack
1984 Landrover 90

Also try changing the plugs, I got a duff set once and got an awful intermittent missfire when the engine was warm. Thought the ECU was knackered, plugs were checked last they were brand new so it couldn't be them (or so I thought)
Old November 7th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Might also be the module on the distributor, it does have occasional issues. Though you can supposedly swap a GM 4-pin HEI module instead of the rover part..... MUCH cheaper.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 21st, 2006, 05:06 PM
Neo
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585

Sorry to bumkp this one back up from the archives, but we FINALLY got it running. We literally tried everything, or so we thought, until we changed the rotor, yes the dizzy rotor. Once the rotor was changed out for a LUCAS dizzy rotor she ran fine. This blew my mind. The original rotor was new from Advanced, and apparently has some problem. Argh! Countless hours later.
Old February 21st, 2006, 05:38 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Hmmmm, maybe it's something that it was designed to fit with the same brand aftermarket cap? Or possibly it was mis-molded or other freaky condition.

I have to say, it's the first time I've ever seen a rotor cause that kind of problem when related to temperature.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 10:54 PM
boxerhips
Tim Riccardi
1995 d90

Hey- Jeff I was with Joe when he looked at the dizzy(rotor). I couldn't believe it made a difference, by the way you need a vacuum advance.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 10:16 PM
Neo
Jeffrey Rosbrugh
95 D90 ST #2585

Yea, it blew my mind too. Literally months of swapping parts and T/sing (with my D as the doner!) We tried swapping everything from simple sensors to the dizzy itself. It ran great with my dizzy (go figure) and my buddy bought a new hall effect. Once installed did the same thing. I kept suggesting he take it to Joe and finally he did. That dude is awesome. I have not had the need to have him work on mine yet, but the time will probably eventually come. Are you in Wilmy-wood?
Old February 24th, 2006, 06:54 PM
boxerhips
Tim Riccardi
1995 d90

I'm in Oak Island. I met you at Joe's shop (Cape FearImports). I was talking to you about the 14CUX. By the way, the rotor on the Disco moved back and forth ( about 5-10*). Did you replace the vacuum advance? Every Disco and D-90 I have every seen has had a inop vacuum advance, even the D-90 he had in the shop had a bad vacuum advance( and that one was a perfect truck). But, I would think a good runnig would have run fine, even with your rotor. I should have tried it on mine. Tim

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions