Won't Restart After Burying - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 31st, 2004, 11:01 AM
coast_rider
Jonny Byar
1995 Yellow D90

Won't Restart After Burying

My D90 dropped into a hole while crossing a muddy river. It stalled out but the air intake was clear. After being strapped out the engine started, but ran terribly rough for about a half hour then quit and would not restart. My prayer is that it only needs to dry out, but any experienced advice and/or insight on what to expect would be greatly appreciated.

"My teacher always told me, 'Don't take yourself so seriously,' or was it life?? Oh well either way." P.D. Byar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2004, 11:58 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

What do you mean by it won't restart? It won't crank or it will crank but it won't run? After a deep water crossing it is common that the engine will continue to run, but once the engine warms up and the water starts to steam off the steam will get inside the distributer cap condense and the engine will run very ruff. The best thing to do after water is to let the engine run for a few minutes with the hood open so let it dry off. Then if it starts running ruff, pop off the cap, and blow out the water with compressed air or wd40.

If it won't turn over (the starter won't turn) and the battery is good, then check the wires on the starter, the small crimp on wire on the solenoid may have a bad connection and then the starter won't turn.

Are you sure the ECM did not get wet? If the water was dirty clean off all the electrical connector. Also if you were in real deep and the water is dirty chances are your radiator is clogged and in need of hosing out.
Old September 4th, 2004, 01:53 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Not sure when the D90 went to the distributorless system but I guess it was after 95 since Mike is a talking about the distributor. However, I had the same thing happen a therefore since I am responding 2 days later I'll bet your D90 started right up the next day or so. Mine did and the alternator was replaced even though it was not the cause( Land Rover warranty). My suspicion is the ECU go0t wet. Something got wet cause it started up after a day of rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2004, 04:11 PM
redrover

Take a look at you oil dipstick and make sure you dont see signs of water in oil. Bad Bad Bad. JP
Old September 7th, 2004, 05:41 PM
coast_rider
Jonny Byar
1995 Yellow D90

Thanks

Thanks for all the pointers. Unfortunately I had to leave my defender at the ranger's station but it did indeed start right up once I got back out there this weekend. The tips were much appreciated though and will make for better trips in the future.

"My teacher always told me, 'Don't take yourself so seriously,' or was it life?? Oh well either way." P.D. Byar
Old September 7th, 2004, 08:45 PM
redrover

Hi Jonny, great that it started up. You may want to look at changing some important fluids if you sat very long waiting for that strap. Diffs, swivel housing , and transfer case. I used to spend all my early years swimming in my trucks. Years of deep holes and no fluid changes eventually led to leaking seals, toasted bearings , and one big head ache. Rock on JP
Old September 7th, 2004, 09:06 PM
coast_rider
Jonny Byar
1995 Yellow D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrover
Hi Jonny, great that it started up. You may want to look at changing some important fluids if you sat very long waiting for that strap. Diffs, swivel housing , and transfer case. I used to spend all my early years swimming in my trucks. Years of deep holes and no fluid changes eventually led to leaking seals, toasted bearings , and one big head ache. Rock on JP
JP, thanks for the heads up. I ran into that after a few of my earlier outings, drove in deep then kinda randomly check my fluids and discovered some sludge slightly resembling fluid... I have since run my breathers up into the body of the cab. Any chance that wouldn't be good enough insurance?? Thanks again,

Old September 9th, 2004, 12:44 AM
redrover

My experience says that if I sit in water long enough , it will eventually make its way through the seals. Even double lip seals. Diffs and TC are easy changes, but the swivels on my 97 are a PIA to change. My CV were pitted from origional owner. I dont see a problem with a little pitting and have run them for a couple of years . Water will deff lead to bearing deteriation. But the water also will turn your gear oil into a choc milkshake. Eventually leading to oil leaks. Its good to raise the breathers, but it wont fully stop water. good luck JP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start