Wobbly tire on a Mantec - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 19th, 2012, 08:02 PM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
Wobbly tire on a Mantec

Just installed my Mantec rear tire carrier and my spare is wobbling even when the lug nuts are tightened all the way to the bottom of the thread on the post. Anyone encountered this before? I've got a Freestyle wheel, 265/75/16 bfg's.

Figured I could cut some pipe to put behind the wheel, but I'm surprised this thing wasn't designed to work with this wheel already...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2012, 08:28 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Mine was fine ... I can't recall if it has washers at the base of the thread ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old June 19th, 2012, 09:20 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The Mantec does NOT come with the threaded washers...I used my old ones from my tire carrier and threaded them on. I initially didn't put them on and the spare was wobbling like you described.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2012, 11:56 PM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
The threaded washer sounds like the right solution. Never had any on the previous door-mounted carrier though. Any idea where to find a set of three?
Old June 20th, 2012, 12:16 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Not off the top of my head, BUT I'm sure it's in the parts catalog (http://www.landroverweb.com/Pdf-file..._Catalogue.pdf) and if you can find the proper # here check AB/RN/RDS or if no go there then LRSeries.com or Paddock Spares.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 20th, 2012, 02:52 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

OR get an M16 tap and cut some threads into some round bar, then chop off 3 pieces, about 5mm thick (that's what my Mantec has got on it, and a normal steel wheel nut behind these pieces, the wheel stays on nicely then)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
mantec, tire